How do you translate textboxes with Trados (Word)?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:39
German to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2004

I have come across thi problem several times, and when I didn't have many textboxes, I just translated them manually. I would now like to have the terms in the memory, because I am working on a large project. I am not allowed to change any formatting, so I can't change the size of the textboxes, but in their current size, I can't see the text in the two Trados lines. Is there any way to elegantly solve this problem? Or do I have to do them manually, like I used to and then make a copy for myself... See more
I have come across thi problem several times, and when I didn't have many textboxes, I just translated them manually. I would now like to have the terms in the memory, because I am working on a large project. I am not allowed to change any formatting, so I can't change the size of the textboxes, but in their current size, I can't see the text in the two Trados lines. Is there any way to elegantly solve this problem? Or do I have to do them manually, like I used to and then make a copy for myself and include the transaltions in the TM, after I finish the project and I have some time to play with the files (which I usually don't do )?Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
T-Window for Clipboard Oct 6, 2004

Hi Eli,
If you cannot touch the boxes, I suggest you use T-Window for Clipboard.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
At least two possibilities Oct 6, 2004

First, you can copy the whole content of the text box and use T-Window for Clipboard to translate it. This is a very good option, if you are able to copy single sentences. But you allways need to start the T-Window and then at least deactivate it after you are finished with the text box, as you cannot keep it active while translating in Word using Trados WB - T-Windows keeps popping up with every new sentence...

Other possibility - right click on the text box and change the height s
... See more
First, you can copy the whole content of the text box and use T-Window for Clipboard to translate it. This is a very good option, if you are able to copy single sentences. But you allways need to start the T-Window and then at least deactivate it after you are finished with the text box, as you cannot keep it active while translating in Word using Trados WB - T-Windows keeps popping up with every new sentence...

Other possibility - right click on the text box and change the height simply by adding "1" before the original size. If the size was ie 4,3 cm, then it will get 14,3 cm. Then translate thet text within the textbox as usuall. After you are finished you will need to cleanup the text (with the Word Macro) manually in each text box, if you are using Word Macro for cleanup. I must admitt, I don´t know, if Workbench does clean text boxes. After the translation you can resize the text box by removing the "1" to its original size.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well.... Oct 6, 2004

The problem is, I have lots of textboxes, most of them with one or two words (the elements of technical drawings). It seems from your description, Jerzy, that T-Window will create a lot of additional work, if I have to copy each text box individually.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You will have a lot of additional work Oct 6, 2004

either with T-Window or with resizing the textboxes.
If you have a lot of them, why don´t you start (or finish) your translation with working only on text boxes?
What I mean is, to translate the file as usuall forgetting about text boexes, and then start T-Window and translate the text boxes one by one.
Text boxes are unfortunatelly not very Trados (or translators) friendly...

Regards
Jerzy

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
A less consuming job (perhaps) Oct 6, 2004

Select all the text in your file and paste it as flat text in a new document (for example as a txt file). Translate this document using Trados and when you finish you can pretranslate your real document. If it all went correctly, you should find that all the text boxes are in the target language and you only have to resize the boxes (or leave it for your customer to do).

Another method which I am absolutely NOT recommending (:-)) is to pretranslate your file whereby you 'Segment unk
... See more
Select all the text in your file and paste it as flat text in a new document (for example as a txt file). Translate this document using Trados and when you finish you can pretranslate your real document. If it all went correctly, you should find that all the text boxes are in the target language and you only have to resize the boxes (or leave it for your customer to do).

Another method which I am absolutely NOT recommending (:-)) is to pretranslate your file whereby you 'Segment unknown sentences'. Open your file and Search and Replace globally while ONLY seeing the translated segments. Should you decide to use this last method, be extremely careful.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
For lots of boxes... Oct 7, 2004

I once had translated a large document, when I found out that there were textboxes all over the place, because I had viewed the document in normal view all the time.
I created a new document with a three column table, the first colums for the page numbers. Into the second and third column a copied the content of each textbox and translated the third column into the target language. After that it was easy to copy the translations back into the textboxes. Actually I did 300 lines of text in
... See more
I once had translated a large document, when I found out that there were textboxes all over the place, because I had viewed the document in normal view all the time.
I created a new document with a three column table, the first colums for the page numbers. Into the second and third column a copied the content of each textbox and translated the third column into the target language. After that it was easy to copy the translations back into the textboxes. Actually I did 300 lines of text in three hours, a very rewarding exercise moneywise.
But translating straigt in the box sucks, I do it only for small texts.
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 20:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wordfast handles textboxes Oct 7, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

The problem is, I have lots of textboxes, most of them with one or two words (the elements of technical drawings). It seems from your description, Jerzy, that T-Window will create a lot of additional work, if I have to copy each text box individually.

Hello,

Last time I translated a Word file which contained lots of textboxes, Wordfast did a superb job to fit all the text into the original Word proforma. It took me through every box in the document.

C.

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not a Wordfast fan Oct 7, 2004

I had downloaded a version about two years ago and after it messed up my system twice, I have deleted it, so that I am not tempted to install it again. At that time, all images disappeared in Word and only a reinstall of the system helped . I still don't know what caused that behaviour.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
text box copy macro Oct 7, 2004

If I remembered correctly, I heard of this in the TW-yahoo group. With that macro, you will be able to copy texts from textboxes all at once. But I have never tried that.

Good luck

Zhoudan

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
normal behaviour Oct 7, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
I had downloaded a version about two years ago and after it messed up my system twice, I have deleted it, so that I am not tempted to install it again. At that time, all images disappeared in Word and only a reinstall of the system helped . I still don't know what caused that behaviour.

Hi Elvira,
The disabling of images is a normal behaviour of WF (just to help process the document faster in case of too many drawings/images).
To restore the images you only have to go to Tools-Options-View and tick the selection box for Drawings.

Another solution that can come handy from the WF yahoo group files section (but not necessarily using WF) is a handy macro to extract the text from text boxes. This macro puts all the text that is in text boxes in a new plain document. You can translate it manually or with whatever tool you like, and then paste the bits into the text boxes. This has to be done manually, I'm afraid, but we cannot have the cake and eat it, can we??

HTH,
Grace.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get to know Word first Oct 7, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

A two years old Wordfast? Get a new version, some 4.22 and try again. But old wordfast-versions are used still a lot, most people are satisfied with those already.
But if images disappear in Word, just change to the Print-view (View...).
No reinstallation needed, only a click with the mouse.

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Heinrich Oct 7, 2004

But I know that images are only displayed in Print View. I assume Graciela's suggestion might be closer to the problem.
So far I am considering copying the texts to another file, as some of you suggested. I just thought there might be an easier way to do this.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Export segments, translate in Word and use option Tools> Translate in TWB Oct 7, 2004

Hello there,
Another possibly quick option: Do the analysis in TWB, click the buttons Export Freq seg (if any) and unknown seg, translate the resulting files using the original for context and once done, Use the Translate command in TWB.
Good luck,
Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you translate textboxes with Trados (Word)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »