Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
Local time: 15:36
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2005

Hi!
I've used Copy Flow Gold to export QXPress 4.0 Passport files and converted them with ITP Filter Pack to translate them with Trados from EN to FR. But when I reimport the files into QXP, special characters such as é, è,... are not recognized, and replaced by other characters.
What should I do?
Thanks very much
Gwen

globalglasgow
globalglasgow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
English to Portuguese
Retype them Apr 4, 2005

I would say retype them in Quark directly! QXpress only supports the basic character set, so it is possible that it is replacing them with replacement characters. Try to copy and paste them directly from word into the text boxes in Quark.
Also make sure you are using a generic font like Arial or Times New Roman.

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks (a bit long though) Apr 4, 2005

globalglasgow wrote:

I would say retype them in Quark directly! QXpress only supports the basic character set, so it is possible that it is replacing them with replacement characters. Try to copy and paste them directly from word into the text boxes in Quark.
Also make sure you are using a generic font like Arial or Times New Roman.

Thanks, that's what I did, but it may take some time doing that if I've got 100 pages to translate!

Actually, I didn't have the problem after, when I converted the file with ITP filter pack first (to rtf), instead of translating directly in TagEditor.

However, the problem did remain when translating with Deja Vu and SDLX...

(I'm actually doing some tests for my thesis, this is why I'm trying out different techniques and trying to find a solution...)

Gwen

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mac vs. PC Apr 4, 2005

Hi Gwen,
Were the Quark files created on a Mac, and then transferred onto a PC platform?

Ralf

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe that's the answer... Apr 4, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Gwen,
Were the Quark files created on a Mac, and then transferred onto a PC platform?

Ralf

Actually maybe that's the error I made the first time I used the files. Second time, I exported the Mac Quark files with copyflow then converted them to rtf with ITP (on the PC) and after the translation, reconversion and reimportation into Quark Mac, they were fine.

However, when I translated the xtg files obtained with copyflow in Deja Vu and reimported them, I did have character problems... Maybe the problem comes from not having the Mac fonts on the PC? still investigating...

Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reimporting Quark files: coding pbl

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »