Translator's Workbench 6.5 - errors 33353 and 50016 when trying to translate table of contents
Thread poster: Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Portugal
Local time: 15:11
English to Portuguese
Apr 6, 2005

Hi all,

I'm translating a manual (Word document) and, for some reason, I repeatedly get the following errors when it gets to any part of the table of contents:
-33353 (end of paragraph not found)
-50016 (Don't use ; as list separator in style name. Check in Control Panel/Regional Settings/Number)

Something similar had hapenned to me once before, but only when trying to clean up the file, not during the translation.

Do you think the problem is du
... See more
Hi all,

I'm translating a manual (Word document) and, for some reason, I repeatedly get the following errors when it gets to any part of the table of contents:
-33353 (end of paragraph not found)
-50016 (Don't use ; as list separator in style name. Check in Control Panel/Regional Settings/Number)

Something similar had hapenned to me once before, but only when trying to clean up the file, not during the translation.

Do you think the problem is due to the file itself or to the configurations of my computer? Any hints on how to solve it? I'd really appreciate any help you could give on this. Thanks!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:11
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Have the same problem Apr 6, 2005

with all automated tables of contents in Word. Trados makes a total mess of them all the time. Have found 2 solutions so far- translate all and don't touch the table of contents. After the translation is ready, right click on the Subj, it all becomes highlighted and then click "update" options. Sometimes that causes all table of contents to automatically be updated (all is replaced with translated headers from throughout your document).
Second option- translate it manually...
See more
with all automated tables of contents in Word. Trados makes a total mess of them all the time. Have found 2 solutions so far- translate all and don't touch the table of contents. After the translation is ready, right click on the Subj, it all becomes highlighted and then click "update" options. Sometimes that causes all table of contents to automatically be updated (all is replaced with translated headers from throughout your document).
Second option- translate it manually

Uldis

hc4 wrote:
Any hints on how to solve it? I'd really appreciate any help you could give on this. Thanks!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don´t translate table of contents itself Apr 6, 2005

but only the document.
You get the first error, because table of contents is a field.
After you have translated the whole text return to TOC and click somwhere in it. Then press F9 and select the option to regenerate it (not only updating the page numbers).

This causes not a slightest problem.
To avoid such problems: let Word show EVERYTHING unprintable (ie paragraph marks, page breaks, section breaks and so on) and let Word highligt ANY field in grey (allways, not
... See more
but only the document.
You get the first error, because table of contents is a field.
After you have translated the whole text return to TOC and click somwhere in it. Then press F9 and select the option to regenerate it (not only updating the page numbers).

This causes not a slightest problem.
To avoid such problems: let Word show EVERYTHING unprintable (ie paragraph marks, page breaks, section breaks and so on) and let Word highligt ANY field in grey (allways, not only when clicked). Then you will see what you are on.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Apr 6, 2005

It's at least a relief to hear that it wasn't my computer that went crazy So far, I'm using the first of your solutions (and will now try updating, as you suggested), and would hate to have to go for the second, but had considered it for the TOC...

Have found 2 solutions so far
Uldis

Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Apr 6, 2005

It's a great help that the solutions seem to coincide! However, since I can't translate the different topics of the TOC throughout the text without getting the error messages, how will they be updated in the end?

[quote]Jerzy Czopik

[Edited at 2005-04-06 16:57]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
English to German
+ ...
ToCs are simply lists of document-internal hyperlinks Apr 6, 2005

Jerzy is right: tables of content created in Word do not contain translatable content - what you need to translate is each header in the document, updating the ToC after cleanup.

The first error message you mention is related; Workbench cannot identify the end of the ToC, and hence throws exception 33353.

The template used to create the document may need to be re-applied before re-creating the ToC. I suspect that cases where the update process fails (hence Uldis' refere
... See more
Jerzy is right: tables of content created in Word do not contain translatable content - what you need to translate is each header in the document, updating the ToC after cleanup.

The first error message you mention is related; Workbench cannot identify the end of the ToC, and hence throws exception 33353.

The template used to create the document may need to be re-applied before re-creating the ToC. I suspect that cases where the update process fails (hence Uldis' reference to "sometimes") involve a customised ToC where the template is missing.

Troubleshooting error message 50016 is well documented in the Trados KB (the article is here).

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent! Apr 6, 2005

Ralf's contribution explained the last loose ends very clearly. The three of you (Uldis, Jerzy and Ralf) have been a great help. Now I can finally proceed with the translation, knowing what to do (and I can tell you I had lost quite a few hours trying to solve it on my own...!)

Best regards and a huge thank you,

hc4

[Edited at 2005-04-06 19:14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench 6.5 - errors 33353 and 50016 when trying to translate table of contents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »