Looking for a workaround to calculate the really work done
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 12:20
Duits naar Spaans
Jun 5, 2005

Everybody knows the problem. A client send you a project based on a TM analysis. Everything seems to be fine. 80 % of the job are 100% matches. So, the invoice will be not so high , but, you think, it will not take too long.
To my surprise almost 50% of the "greens" segments must be changed (bad alignements, big mistakes, not completed sentences from previous translations, etc)

Is there a way to analyze the real made job?
If not with Trados, maybe with another app
... See more
Everybody knows the problem. A client send you a project based on a TM analysis. Everything seems to be fine. 80 % of the job are 100% matches. So, the invoice will be not so high , but, you think, it will not take too long.
To my surprise almost 50% of the "greens" segments must be changed (bad alignements, big mistakes, not completed sentences from previous translations, etc)

Is there a way to analyze the real made job?
If not with Trados, maybe with another application?

Someone knows if Olifant can do this?
http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Thks

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-06-05 20:24]
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 13:20
Engels naar Russisch
Impossible Jun 5, 2005

Toledo wrote: Is there a way to analyze the real made job?
If not with Trados, maybe with another application?

You want too much from a PC. The machine compares the stats of the segments, that's it, be it nice verse or gibberosh.

I was in the same situation last month when a client tried to give me a machine translated MT with standard fuzzy discount scheme. We renegotiated. Try to supply a couple of examples to you customer, showing bad quality of the 100% matches. If nothing changes, tell him you won't touch the 100% matches or else, abandon.

AFAIK, a TM is a Q-u-a-l-i-t-y C-h-e-c-k-e-d database in normal houses.

HTH
Aleksandr

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:20
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Not with Olifant Jun 5, 2005

Your description reminds me to the mobile manual I translated a week ago - and also to the printed manual delivered with my new mobile..

In my case the .txt file with the exported TM had 3.5 MB, hence it would probably take more than a month to correct it (using Olifant, for example).

But you can quickly make the relevant segments visible by pretranslating the file(s) using Workbench/Tools/Translate.<
... See more
Your description reminds me to the mobile manual I translated a week ago - and also to the printed manual delivered with my new mobile..

In my case the .txt file with the exported TM had 3.5 MB, hence it would probably take more than a month to correct it (using Olifant, for example).

But you can quickly make the relevant segments visible by pretranslating the file(s) using Workbench/Tools/Translate.

After viewing some of the resulting pages you might change your quote, if you did not give a binding one, yet.
Collapse

pep
pep
Engels naar Spaans
Maybe a process with ApSIC Comparator could help Jun 5, 2005

I pictured the following process:

1. Clean-up your final files against the initial memory BUT with the option that does not allow changes to the existing 100% matches. This way the memory will only import new matches and fuzzy macthes, but not 100% matches.

2. Pretranslate the files you received with this memory (everything should be 100% matches).

3. Use ApSIC Comparator to compare your files against those files generated in step 2. If everythigh worked we
... See more
I pictured the following process:

1. Clean-up your final files against the initial memory BUT with the option that does not allow changes to the existing 100% matches. This way the memory will only import new matches and fuzzy macthes, but not 100% matches.

2. Pretranslate the files you received with this memory (everything should be 100% matches).

3. Use ApSIC Comparator to compare your files against those files generated in step 2. If everythigh worked well, the differences should be precisely the 100% matches that you modified. When you run the comparison, define your final files as the "reviewed" files and the pretranslated files as the "unreviewed". In addition to the differences you will also get the number of segments that you had to modify.

Note: This process does not report the work you did on fuzzy matches if the fuzzy matches were of low quality.

I hope this helps.

Pep.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:20
Lid 2003
Fins naar Duits
+ ...
You can compare the TM Jun 6, 2005

The segments changed by you would be listed at the end of the TM. You can export them into txt and convert into a table, then count the column which contains the targets.
But if the customer does not pay for correcting the wrong segments I would not touch them.

Regards

Heinrich

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spanje
Duits naar Spaans
ONDERWERPSTARTER
After years using it Jun 6, 2005

Still having problems to understand the logic on this application.

pep wrote:

1. Clean-up your final files against the initial memory BUT with the option that does not allow changes to the existing 100% matches. This way the memory will only import new matches and fuzzy macthes, but not 100% matche

I am trying to follow your indication, but I do not know how to clean it without changing the 100% matches

there are 4 options and I can not "see" the logic.

Don't update
Update TM
Don't clean -up
Update document

Which is the one I need?
I tried with "Don't update" but the new TUs are not implemented

Thks for your help/time

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-06-07 09:47]

pep
pep
Engels naar Spaans
Export and then import with Leave unchanged Jun 7, 2005

I was pretty confusing in my explanation, sorry about that.

Let me rewind a little bit:

What you should do is to clean normally in your "gold" memory, then export it to .txt and import the newly created memory into the "garbage" original one with the import option named "Leave unchanged".

I apologize for my lack of precision. I came with the idea becase I had (and have) one client for whom I spent years modifying wrong segments that came from the memory an
... See more
I was pretty confusing in my explanation, sorry about that.

Let me rewind a little bit:

What you should do is to clean normally in your "gold" memory, then export it to .txt and import the newly created memory into the "garbage" original one with the import option named "Leave unchanged".

I apologize for my lack of precision. I came with the idea becase I had (and have) one client for whom I spent years modifying wrong segments that came from the memory and my client managed to never import my corrections, so I thought the process he followed to avoid importing my corrections was more straight-forward.

I hope this does the trick for you now.

Regards,

Pep.

Toledo wrote:

Still having problems to understand the logic on this application.

I am trying to follow your indication, but I do not know how to clean it without changing the 100% matches

there are 4 options and I can not "see" the logic.

Don't update
Update TM
Don't clean -up
Update document

Which is the one I need?
I tried with "Don't update" but the new TUs are not implemented

pep wrote:

1. Clean-up your final files against the initial memory BUT with the option that does not allow changes to the existing 100% matches. This way the memory will only import new matches and fuzzy macthes, but not 100% matche

Thks for your help/time

Toledo
Collapse

pep
pep
Engels naar Spaans
And there is still another variant Jun 7, 2005

I came up with yet another variant much simpler, to get the two set of memories.

1. Once you have the "gold" memory make a second copy and name it "garbage". For now they are the same, but for just a little while.

2. With the original memory (i.e. the one missing new and fuzzy segments), pretranslate the set of files (tools->Translate), with the following settings:

[ 100 ] % or higer match level
Leave unchecked "Segment unknown sentences".
... See more
I came up with yet another variant much simpler, to get the two set of memories.

1. Once you have the "gold" memory make a second copy and name it "garbage". For now they are the same, but for just a little while.

2. With the original memory (i.e. the one missing new and fuzzy segments), pretranslate the set of files (tools->Translate), with the following settings:

[ 100 ] % or higer match level
Leave unchecked "Segment unknown sentences".

This will create pretranslated files with only original 100% matches. Now you want to clean those matches (Tool->Clean Up->Update TM) into the "garbage" memory that you copied on step 1.

The garbage memory contains your new and fuzzy an their 100% matches.

Now you should be ready to pretranslate again the files with the garbage memory and compare with ApSIC Comparator.

I hope this helps,

Pep.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a workaround to calculate the really work done

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »