Thread poster: Carolina Mendez
Carolina Mendez
Carolina Mendez  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 8, 2005

Hi
I have been using TRADOS 6.5 in my PC since 2004 and yesterday I installed it into my laptop. I need to copy the terms I have added to TRADOS in my PC to my Laptop. How can I do that?
I would very much appreciate all your help,
Carolina

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-08 01:55]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 12:19
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
There are several ways Jun 8, 2005

Selection of the "best" one may depend on a few things:

(1) Do you want to do keep the laptop and desktop synchronised on an averyday basis, or is it a more or less one-time thing for you?

(2) How are your laptop and desktop connected to each other? (This is not very important for the substance, only for comfort.)

A "platfrom independent" procedure for translation memories: export a memory to txt, transfer the txt file to the laptop, create an empty memory
... See more

(1) Do you want to do keep the laptop and desktop synchronised on an averyday basis, or is it a more or less one-time thing for you?

(2) How are your laptop and desktop connected to each other? (This is not very important for the substance, only for comfort.)

A "platfrom independent" procedure for translation memories: export a memory to txt, transfer the txt file to the laptop, create an empty memory with the same parameters on the laptop, import the txt into the empty memory.

Alternatively, you can transfer all files belonging to the respective memory (iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw) - this is more suitable for "automated synchro," but requires some more care about where your translation memories are stored, etc.

Antonin
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Replication of directory structure Jun 8, 2005

Hi,
I have replicated the directory structure on my desktop (MTiX) and network drive (TMs) on my laptop. In this way, it's pretty straightforward to synchronise the relevant directories, using freeware such as FileEqualizer.

HTH, Ralf

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:19
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Info on FileEqualizer Jun 8, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
I have replicated the directory structure on my desktop (MTiX) and network drive (TMs) on my laptop. In this way, it's pretty straightforward to synchronise the relevant directories, using freeware such as FileEqualizer.

HTH, Ralf

Actually I have exactly the same problem. Could you give some info where to find this FileEqualizer (google offered me some software cracks when I searched for it), it sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks,
Burrell

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Now called AlaskaSync Jun 8, 2005

Hi Burrell,
Looks like the product has been renamed to AlaskaSync; I bought it under a shareware license.

HTH, Ralf

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Any English programmes? Jun 8, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Burrell,
Looks like the product has been renamed to AlaskaSync; I bought it under a shareware license.

HTH, Ralf

Thanks, Ralf. Unfortunately the site is only in German and I cannot use it. Do you know of any similar products in English?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nope, I'm afraid... Jun 8, 2005

Thanks, Ralf. Unfortunately the site is only in German and I cannot use it. Do you know of any similar products in English?

...as I'm using the German product only...

I'm sure there are similar shareware utilities around in English; I'd search for "file synchronise" or something along these lines.

Cheers, Ralf

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
For example Jun 8, 2005

http://www.heatsoft.com

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Excellent! Jun 8, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

http://www.heatsoft.com[/quote]

Thas excellent! thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Burrell

Carolina Mendez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WiFi laptop. Jun 9, 2005

Hi Antonin.
Thank you for your comments.
I have WiFi from my PC and I use my laptop wireless when in other areas of my house or when traveling.
I will travel next week, and I will bring my laptop so I can work at the airports while waiting between flights.
So, basically, they are not interconnected.
I am afraid I do not understand much about using other softwares. I am only a friendly user. This seems very complica
... See more
Hi Antonin.
Thank you for your comments.
I have WiFi from my PC and I use my laptop wireless when in other areas of my house or when traveling.
I will travel next week, and I will bring my laptop so I can work at the airports while waiting between flights.
So, basically, they are not interconnected.
I am afraid I do not understand much about using other softwares. I am only a friendly user. This seems very complicated to me. I wish there was an easy way. http://www.heatsoft.com/ is not easy, for I cannot buy it now. There is exchange control here.
Any other ideas?
Carolina

antonin_1955 wrote:

A "platfrom independent" procedure for translation memories: export a memory to txt, transfer the txt file to the laptop, create an empty memory with the same parameters on the laptop, import the txt into the empty memory.

Alternatively, you can transfer all files belonging to the respective memory (iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw) - this is more suitable for "automated synchro," but requires some more care about where your translation memories are stored, etc.

Antonin
Collapse

Carolina Mendez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 9, 2005

Dear Ralf,
Thank you for your ideas.
I am afraid I cannot use the German version, and even if it was in English or in Spanish I am not computer literate as to use that software.
Isn't there an easier way?
Thank you anyway,
Carolina

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Copying files manually (not recommended, though) Jun 9, 2005

Hi Carolina,
I am afraid I cannot use the German version, and even if it was in English or in Spanish I am not computer literate as to use that software.

Er... but you managed to install Trados, didn't you?
Compared to Trados, utilities such as AlaskaSync or Heatsoft are much simpler applications.

Isn't there an easier way?

Copying the files manually - however, given the risk of ending up with inconsistent database files, I would strongly advise against that.

If you only need to 'move' your data occasionally, you could export the TMs and termbases (don't forget to also save the termbase definition), and re-create them on the target computer.

Best regards,
Ralf

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
freeware synchronization Jun 9, 2005

I found http://www.allwaysync.com by "googling" - I have no experience with it, you can give it a try - looks reasonable to my eyes - they say it is for free for personal use - I am not sure if using it for Trados synchronisation is non-business, but it would be a matter between you and them (or you and your conscience).

You can synchronise Trados and Multiterm memories in the "native" way (export
... See more
I found http://www.allwaysync.com by "googling" - I have no experience with it, you can give it a try - looks reasonable to my eyes - they say it is for free for personal use - I am not sure if using it for Trados synchronisation is non-business, but it would be a matter between you and them (or you and your conscience).

You can synchronise Trados and Multiterm memories in the "native" way (export - import) or give some work to setting up automatic synchronisation within a program that can do it, if you need or want to syncronise more often (or you can pay someone to set it up for you, if you really are unable to cope with it - but after all, it is not more difficult than the export / import way; I agree with Ralph that, if you are able to use Trados, it should not be a real problem for you). It is up to you to decide about your prefrences.

I wish you good luck

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to transfer terms in TRADOS from PC to Laptop

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »