General questions on Trados concerning updates and costs
Thread poster: trad500
trad500
trad500
Local time: 08:45
English to French
Jun 9, 2005

Hello,

I'm seriously considering buying Trados, but I have a few questions I don't seem to find an answer to...
How often do the makers of Trados release new version? Is it critical to have the most recent version?
How much are these updates once available?

Any answer to this would be very helpful.

Thanks to all

Marie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-09 15:18]

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
http://www.translationzone.com/ Jun 9, 2005

That website may answer some of your questions, at least on price.

I have been using Trados for 3 years, and my impression is that new versions come about one a year or less. Others may know more precisely.

It is not critical to have the latest version, but each release has had additions that I have found useful and well worthwhile, and Version 7 (imminent) also has some attractive features.

Bear in mind you need to invest time as well as money to get the b
... See more
That website may answer some of your questions, at least on price.

I have been using Trados for 3 years, and my impression is that new versions come about one a year or less. Others may know more precisely.

It is not critical to have the latest version, but each release has had additions that I have found useful and well worthwhile, and Version 7 (imminent) also has some attractive features.

Bear in mind you need to invest time as well as money to get the best out of Trados (or indeed any CAT).
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:45
English to French
Schedule your purchases Jun 9, 2005

As peter said, updates are released would say about once a year. And yes, you will need time to learn how to use it efficiently. I still find out ways to do things more quickly within Trados (especially TM management and maintenance) after six years of daily practice.

There is definitely no need to update every time. I don't think it is cost-effective either. But when you get more and more enquiries requiring a later version than yours, you should think of upgrading.
As far a
... See more
As peter said, updates are released would say about once a year. And yes, you will need time to learn how to use it efficiently. I still find out ways to do things more quickly within Trados (especially TM management and maintenance) after six years of daily practice.

There is definitely no need to update every time. I don't think it is cost-effective either. But when you get more and more enquiries requiring a later version than yours, you should think of upgrading.
As far as I am concerned, that is what drives my purchases. I started using Trados 3 in 2000 to comply with an agency requirement, then updated to 5.5 somewhere in 2002/3, and I am about to upgrade to 7 while the discount is on. By the way, proz.com offer huge savings on new versions. I wish I had known the site back then.

The price for an update is about 200/250 euros when some offer is on, on a basis of one update every 2/3 years. Offers and discounts are scheduled about twice a year, so you can easily find a time window when updating is smoother for your wallet. I suggest you subscribe to their newsletter not to miss any news.

Also consider that computer power requirements increase for every major update, so if you want to keep an old machine, updating to a new version of Trados may not be the right move. But the same goes for any major update of any large application.

g'day,
Philippe
Collapse

trad500
trad500
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 10, 2005

Thank you Peter and Philippe for your very useful comments and link!
Just have to decide whether to take the jump now...

Marie

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 09:45
German to English
+ ...
Updates Jun 13, 2005

Hello,

it can be very important to have the actual version of Trados, because they often change the Memory format. Another point is, that they changed the TTX format. You can work with older versions with the ttx files, but sometimes you will lost some unicode characters and the segmentation in the files can be a problem.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General questions on Trados concerning updates and costs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »