Should I send a TM export to the agency?
Thread poster: klingacik
klingacik
klingacik
Slovakia
Local time: 12:50
French to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 12, 2005

Hi.
I have been asked by an agent to send the TM export file along with my translation. I am wondering if he can use it for his own translations.

Is there a way to prevent it?

Thank in avance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-12 15:59]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What was agreed upon, or defined in the PO? Jun 12, 2005

Hi klingacik,
I have been asked by an agent to send the TM export file along with my translation. I am wondering if he can use it for his own translations.

Well, although the primary purpose is probably to review your translation, the agency will, of course, incorporate the translation into its translation memory.

This is pretty standard procedure; an alternative would be to require a pre-cleanup file (which can be cleaned up to incorporate its contents into a TM).

Is there a way to prevent it?

Yes, by refusing to provide the export (or an uncleaned file). Whether or not you're under an obligation to provide it depends very much on what was agreed upon at the outset.

Note that refusing to send the export doesn't mean that the outsourcer won't be able to incorporate the translation into a TM - all it takes is to align the files. Obviously, the effort associated with such an alignment means that your quote is less competitive compared to the pricing of a translator delivering importable data.

Best regards,
Ralf

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
Do they provide you with TM's? Jun 12, 2005

Hi klingacik

To be fair, many agencies also use TM's to give to translators for similar work. So you could ask the agencies if they also provide TM's TO translators, which would be good for YOU next time, if not, and it has not been agreed in advance there is no reason to do so, unless you need the work from that particular agency.

Good luck!

Anette

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
PO Jun 13, 2005

I agree with Ralf, whatever was stated in your PO, that's what you are under obligation to provide.

And it's no big deal to send them the TM. After all, as Ralf also mentions, they will get the segments with or without your help!

Regards,

Rosa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I send a TM export to the agency?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »