Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:26
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

For some time now, I have been using a working procedure when using Trados some other people might also find useful. Whether the original to be translated is a set of ttx files or a "format-complicated" Word document, I run a Workbench analysis, export uknown segments of "99% or lower match value" as rtf, and pre-translate this rtf in Word. Then I clean-translate the original file(s) (using fuzzy) from the TM filled during the pre-translation stage.

Advantages:

(1) You
... See more
For some time now, I have been using a working procedure when using Trados some other people might also find useful. Whether the original to be translated is a set of ttx files or a "format-complicated" Word document, I run a Workbench analysis, export uknown segments of "99% or lower match value" as rtf, and pre-translate this rtf in Word. Then I clean-translate the original file(s) (using fuzzy) from the TM filled during the pre-translation stage.

Advantages:

(1) You can use all Word macros you are used to (unlike TagEditor, where you cannot define your own macros at all)

(2) If the original document was Word, in the plain rtf you are not disturbed by strange formatting, fixed height of rows in tables, etc. when pre-translating. When you go through the clean-trasnlation stage, you can focus on formatting issues only, since the translating part of the work has alrady been done.

(3) Spell-checking is more straighforward, with suspicious words underlined.

Drawbacks:

(1) Some more complicated segments have still to be worked on when doing the clean translation.

(2) If the original files were ttx, you have to be careful about tags - in the segment-export rtf they are in red and somewhat protected, but not so strictly as in TagEditor itself.

(3) The document is run through twice instead of once - for very big jobs to be completed within short deadlines, the time loss may be critical. In principle, time could be saved by clean-translating with the aid of "Worbkench automatic translation", but I think it is too risky and hardly ever use it.

For me, this approach saves troubles and frustration, and definitely makes my workflow smoother.

Antonin
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
I do that too... Jun 15, 2005

I have described the whole procedure elsewhere (http://www.proz.com/topic/30259?post_id=210441), here I will just repeat my list of pros and cons:

Advantages:
- It is pure text document, easy to handle.
- All segments are in one document. Useful, when translating many similar documents.
- If I pretranslated with segmenting, I can change repeating portions of
... See more
I have described the whole procedure elsewhere (http://www.proz.com/topic/30259?post_id=210441), here I will just repeat my list of pros and cons:

Advantages:
- It is pure text document, easy to handle.
- All segments are in one document. Useful, when translating many similar documents.
- If I pretranslated with segmenting, I can change repeating portions of the segments without actually opening them (replacing only unhidden text).
- All changes done to translated segments may be (and have to be!) included in the database with the clean up command.
- If a subcontractor translates the RTF, it is very easy to align it with the original (segmenting only on hard return).

Disadvantages:
- It is easy to forget that it is _not_ the document that is translated, only the TM segments. Therefore changes made only to the document (multiple translations of the same segment, for example) are lost!
- With many repetitions the source text has to be compared with the original (printout). The repeated segments are simply not there, which may disturb the reading of the context.
- Tags require special attention. It is easy to lose them, especially for segments where only tags differ.
- Joining and splitting segments is out of question, as they won't be recognized in the original document.
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
You can have all advantages without drawbacks by ... Jun 15, 2005

... using SDLX.

It's really interesting which complicated and time-consuming procedures are followed just to go around the flaws of a poorly designed piece of software although there is much better stuff available.

Bruno1011
Bruno1011
German to Spanish
+ ...
I use to do it, but... Jun 15, 2005

I did it few days ago with a huge ttx file which was a mammoth to work with, but...

I exported all non-100% segments of the original ttx to an rtf file, feeded the TM by translating the rtf, and translated the ttx with the Tools/Translate option.

Cautiously, I analyzed the translated ttx file (before cleaning) and find for my surprise that there still were segments non-100%! (although the translated rtf showed all segments to be 100%).

I had to repeat the
... See more
I did it few days ago with a huge ttx file which was a mammoth to work with, but...

I exported all non-100% segments of the original ttx to an rtf file, feeded the TM by translating the rtf, and translated the ttx with the Tools/Translate option.

Cautiously, I analyzed the translated ttx file (before cleaning) and find for my surprise that there still were segments non-100%! (although the translated rtf showed all segments to be 100%).

I had to repeat the process twice more in order to get a translated ttx with all segments being 100%.

Why did it happen???

[Edited at 2005-06-15 19:25]
Collapse

Peide Zha
Peide Zha
Canada
Local time: 23:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use Word to translate ISC files Jun 20, 2005

A freelance translator refuses to use TagEditor and insists on using Word. But I still wish to save some time on InDesign formatting. So I am thinking of asking him to translate the InDesign-exported ISC file in Word so that the translation can be imported back into InDesign later. Is it doable? How should I handle the process? Is there a way to protect the tags in Word? Or color them at least? I heard we can protect tags using the style feature in Word such as "tw4winExternal". Does anyone know... See more
A freelance translator refuses to use TagEditor and insists on using Word. But I still wish to save some time on InDesign formatting. So I am thinking of asking him to translate the InDesign-exported ISC file in Word so that the translation can be imported back into InDesign later. Is it doable? How should I handle the process? Is there a way to protect the tags in Word? Or color them at least? I heard we can protect tags using the style feature in Word such as "tw4winExternal". Does anyone know how to use that style automaticall, not manually?Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Word instead of TagEditor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »