Trados is Generating preview as soon as I confirm a segment.
Thread poster: Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Local time: 09:22
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 11, 2019

Hi! I got the same problem as so many times described with earlier versions. I work with Trados Studio 2019. Everything was working fine until, yesterday, I started having this problem:

- I translate my segment
- I confirm my segment (either with the CRTL+ENTER shortcut or by manually selecting the command with the mouse)
- Trados starts confirming the segment (I got the message "Generating preview" on the left corner)
- Everything freezes and I have to kill Trados
... See more
Hi! I got the same problem as so many times described with earlier versions. I work with Trados Studio 2019. Everything was working fine until, yesterday, I started having this problem:

- I translate my segment
- I confirm my segment (either with the CRTL+ENTER shortcut or by manually selecting the command with the mouse)
- Trados starts confirming the segment (I got the message "Generating preview" on the left corner)

I tried already so many things described in this forum (f.inst. new shortcuts for the preview functions), but nothing works. I also installed SP2, tried to repair the program etc.

This is so annoying. Every second year I buy a new version of Trados hoping for a better functionality, and it's just as annoying as Windows. Crashing all the time. No problems fixed, nearly useless new features. It's a shame! As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
A professional translation tool for Apple: CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant Aug 11, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.

You can already try CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant, which can do everything with existing SDLPPX packages that Studio can do, except for one thing: process tracked changes. (This hasn't been implemented until now.)

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
CAT Tools for the Mac Aug 11, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

- I translate my segment

I tried already so many things described in this forum (f.inst. new shortcuts for the preview functions), but nothing works. I also installed SP2, tried to repair the program etc.

This is so annoying. Every second year I buy a new version of Trados hoping for a better functionality, and it's just as annoying as Windows. Crashing all the time. No problems fixed, nearly useless new features. It's a shame! As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.

Hi Annette
there are some very good CAT tools for the Mac and not necessarily online tools. A lot of us professional translators use these professional tools.

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools for Apple Aug 11, 2019

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply! Can you suggest a program for Apple, which is compatible with Trados files? I unfortunatly couldn't find such a program.

Kind regards
Annette

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
CAT tools for the Mac Aug 12, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply! Can you suggest a program for Apple, which is compatible with Trados files? I unfortunatly couldn't find such a program.

Kind regards
Annette

Hi Annette
see Hans's answer, Cafetran is definitely a great tool to use on a Mac. Then there is Swordfish which can process sdlxliff files (no sdlppx though) and Wordfast Pro 5 which can process sdlppx files but cannot (yet) export return packages, only sdlxliff files. If you are not afraid of a fairly steep learning curve I'd suggest Cafetran (https://www.cafetran.com) and a lifetime licence is definitely affordable, Igor's support is great and you can find all the help you need on https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/home

Wolfgang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is Generating preview as soon as I confirm a segment.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »