(0> and
Thread poster: Jan Schauseil
Jan Schauseil
Jan Schauseil  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
German to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2005

The source tags and source segment are visible after closing a segment in TRADOS 6.0. I can translate and work like this, but when I clean up I can't update my TM either.
I've already repaired and reinstalled TRADOS.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:30
English to German
+ ...
Hidden text settings in Word / Cleanup settings Jul 4, 2005

Hi Jan,
The source tags and source segment are visible after closing a segment in TRADOS 6.0.

...which is normal behaviour (and, in fact, recommended). See previous threads on hidden text settings for some background.

I can translate and work like this, but when I clean up I can't update my TM either.

Can you please describe the problem in more detail? Which option is set in Changed translations in the Clean Up Files dialogue?

Best regards,
Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Normal behaviour of Trados Jul 4, 2005

Dear Jan,

The source tags and source segment are visible after closing a segment in TRADOS 6.0.

This is a deliberate functionality of Trados and even recommended to show every tag. Don't deactivate this feature.

I can translate and work like this, but when I clean up I can't update my TM either.

I don't get the entire impression of your workflow. Process your word file until the last sentence. You may even "smear in" corrections into the previous segments without opening this particular segment. Then go and clean-up your file with the enabled option field "TM update". Your database will be updated.

HTH
Carsten

Jan Schauseil
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New behaviour of TRADOS. Jul 4, 2005

Dear Ralf,
I'm confused because until now, the source segments only showed when I clicked the Show/Hide button. In the TRADOS tutorial it's shown to work that way, too. Now there's no difference when I click Show/Hide, the source segment always shows.
I seem to be able to clean up now.

Sorry, I'm a newbie to TRADOS.

Thanks for the help.
Jan

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word behaviour, not Trados... Jul 4, 2005

Hi again,
I'm confused because until now, the source segments only showed when I clicked the Show/Hide button. In the TRADOS tutorial it's shown to work that way, too. Now there's no difference when I click Show/Hide, the source segment always shows.

I assume that you're working in Word - could you please let us know which version you're using? The display of hidden text and formatting characters (including tags) is not controlled by Trados, but by MS Word.

Have you checked the display settings in Word (Tools - Options - Display)?

Best, Ralf

Jan Schauseil
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved in Word 2003! Jul 5, 2005

Ralf,
You're a genius!
I went to Tools-Options-View-Formatting marks, and unchecked "Hidden text".
Should have thought of that myself.
Thank you so much for your help and patience with a novice.
Best regards
Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(0> and

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »