Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:45
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Dec 30, 2005

Dear all,

I have been reading topics for a couple of hours now, after having spent some 5 days trying to get to understand anything about Trados!

I simply do not know what I need to do!

Is multiterm a must? Do i have to do something before I start using it? How do I get it to show my languages?

I have tried to use it following the tutorial, but all I get in the workbench are 4 languages that are not 'my' languages!

Help! I am not
... See more
Dear all,

I have been reading topics for a couple of hours now, after having spent some 5 days trying to get to understand anything about Trados!

Is multiterm a must? Do i have to do something before I start using it? How do I get it to show my languages?

I have tried to use it following the tutorial, but all I get in the workbench are 4 languages that are not 'my' languages!

Help! I am not very 'good' with computers, i.e. I can only use them, but when it comes to installation and things I am useless!
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Maybe this will answer some of your questions Dec 30, 2005

Dusica Cook wrote:

Multiterm is NOT a must. You can use Trados workbench without using Multiterm. In order to make Multiterm work, you need to open a database in the program, either a database from someone else or one you create your self. Multiterm does not contain glossaries or terms when you buy it.

Some of the same goes for Workbench. You need to open a TM (translation memory), from someone else or you can create one yourself, to use the program. Again, the workbench does not contain sentences or terms when you buy it. The four languages you refer to, may be the User interface languages (English, German, French and Spanish).

It takes time to learn to use this complex program, and turorials don't also provide much help. Practical experience is crucial. I recommend taking a Trados course.

Ask again, if you need more info.

Jørgen

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:45
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Short manual Dec 30, 2005

Dear Dusica,

I have about 10 page "Trados manual for beginners", written by some translator. If you will send me an e-mail, I will gladly send it to you.

Uldis

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tanks Dec 30, 2005

I have tried to start with the memory, but i seam not to understand. I was hoping to find a course, but there are none near me! I will carry on struggling until I 'break' it! hahaha

Anyhow, thank you very much for your assistance, this now helps!

Best regards and all the best in the New Year, Dusica

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again Dec 30, 2005

thanks uldis,

i have just sent you an email with my address!

all the best, dusica

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works! IT WORKS!!!!! Dec 30, 2005

once again, thanks for allhte help! it works!

i have already started playing with it! i would recommend the trados-for-idiots to everyone!

all the best!

Chen Star
Chen Star
Local time: 14:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
there is a easy way Dec 31, 2005

Dusica Cook wrote:

Dear all,

Help! I am not very 'good' with computers, i.e. I can only use them, but when it comes to installation and things I am useless!

You can get a flash explanation in Trados HELP menu,just follow the steps in the HELP menu, You can learn it well.

Multiterm is not a must, you can do without it. It is easy to have problems in it, just learn it after you are so fluent in Workbench .

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Explanation Jan 1, 2006

This is the preamble of the said article:

"TRADOS BASICS
HERE IT IS, FROM SOMEONE, WHO COULDN'T GET STARTED EITHER:
THE "TRADOS FOR IDIOTS BY AN IDIOT" GUIDE TO THE FREELANCE VERSION. (I have 2.3 build 89)
BY LIFE JENSEN, DANISH TRANSLATOR..."

And yes, the article was very useful for myself too, when I first looked at Trados- as Trados help starts with assuming you already know the basics. Of course, versions are different now, but the very starting ha
... See more
This is the preamble of the said article:

"TRADOS BASICS
HERE IT IS, FROM SOMEONE, WHO COULDN'T GET STARTED EITHER:
THE "TRADOS FOR IDIOTS BY AN IDIOT" GUIDE TO THE FREELANCE VERSION. (I have 2.3 build 89)
BY LIFE JENSEN, DANISH TRANSLATOR..."

And yes, the article was very useful for myself too, when I first looked at Trados- as Trados help starts with assuming you already know the basics. Of course, versions are different now, but the very starting hasn't changed so much.

Uldis

Dusica Cook wrote:
i have already started playing with it! i would recommend the trados-for-idiots to everyone!

[Edited at 2006-01-01 22:26]
Collapse

jogarcoll
jogarcoll
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a copy left, maybe? Jan 27, 2006

Hello, my name is Josep and I just wondered if I might also have a copy of that Trados manual for beginners. I'm having a real bad time trying to learn how to use it and it's really hard to find courses nearby. Thanks very much in advance for your help. My e-mail is [email protected].

Josep García

themisk
themisk
English to Greek
+ ...
Trados for beginners Jan 29, 2006

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Dear Dusica,

I have about 10 page "Trados manual for beginners", written by some translator. If you will send me an e-mail, I will gladly send it to you.

Uldis

Hello, Dusica,

I would be sooo grateful if you could send me an e-mail with the manual!! I 've been encountering some problems with language and fond recognition!

Thanks a bunch

Themis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I do not seam to get my languages!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »