Jessica Klingberg
Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2006

I need urgent help! I am translating a series of documents for a client, using TRADOS 7.0, Windows XP, Microsoft Word XP.

I am coming up way too often with the above error, several times within the SAME document. This is what I have attempted so far:

(1) copying the segment in question from the original, including some text before and some text after, and pasting it onto the target document - DID NOT HELP

(2) using the Fix Document feature in Trados - DID
... See more
I need urgent help! I am translating a series of documents for a client, using TRADOS 7.0, Windows XP, Microsoft Word XP.

I am coming up way too often with the above error, several times within the SAME document. This is what I have attempted so far:

(1) copying the segment in question from the original, including some text before and some text after, and pasting it onto the target document - DID NOT HELP

(2) using the Fix Document feature in Trados - DID NOT HELP

(3) recreating the entire document, i.e. copying the entire source text onto a new blank document - DID NOT HELP

(4) manually re-typing the faulty segment, including some text before and some text after, into the actual target document - this worked one or two times but the last time it did not do the trick.

I will be grateful for any new ideas or insight - I am at my wits' end having lost so many hours with this problem.

[Edited at 2006-02-06 01:15]
Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does this happen at the end of pages? Feb 6, 2006

Sometimes it is just the mark of end of paragraph missing at the end of a page.
Try placing the cursor next to the last word of the page and just pressing Enter. Go back and try to open the 'difficult' string.
Hope this helps you.

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
I am having the same problem Feb 6, 2006

Hello,
I know this is not helping you, but I am having the same problem, and I tried everything you tried. Are there any tables in your document? try having a document without any tables (if you have any) and see if it helps.
I also had to copy and paste a segment at a time and work with it, and worrying about putting everything together later.
it is very frustrating and a big waste of time

Mireille

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm Feb 6, 2006

mónica alfonso wrote:

Sometimes it is just the mark of end of paragraph missing at the end of a page.
Try placing the cursor next to the last word of the page and just pressing Enter. Go back and try to open the 'difficult' string.
Hope this helps you.

The segment in question occurs in the middle of the page. However, I placed an extra Enter at the end of the page and it helped! I don't know if it will help with future errors (I am anticipating more) but it certainly helped with this one problematic segment. Thanks very much.

Now...how on earth could a missing Enter at the end of the page mess up random segments in the middle of the page? Trados boggles my mind sometimes.

[Edited at 2006-02-06 03:02]

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No tables in my document... Feb 6, 2006

maboumra wrote:

Are there any tables in your document? try having a document without any tables (if you have any) and see if it helps.
I also had to copy and paste a segment at a time and work with it, and worrying about putting everything together later.
it is very frustrating and a big waste of time

...just pure text - which is even more frustrating in a way. Hope you find a solution fast - I am anticipating a long evening tonight...

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Try the TagEditor route or... Feb 6, 2006

Jessica Klingberg wrote:

I need urgent help! (...)
I will be grateful for any new ideas or insight - I am at my wits' end having lost so many hours with this problem.

[Edited at 2006-02-06 01:15]

I think I've had this problem several times when working in Word. But if this is a DOC file, you can always use TagEgitor which is free from this problem.

But if you prefer or must do it in Word, and the the document has already been pretranslated, then I'll tell you what I did:

* I always work with the segment markers and hidden text displayed

* I just manually copied the segment starting mark from a 'good' TU to the place where it should be in a damaged unit and the TU was fixed.

HTH

Piotr

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Can you send me this document? Feb 6, 2006

Or a portion of it with that problem? I believe I can help.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Anyway, the approach is basically the one Piotr described. Feb 6, 2006

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I also tried this solution... Feb 6, 2006

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
* I just manually copied the segment starting mark from a 'good' TU to the place where it should be in a damaged unit and the TU was fixed.

HTH

Piotr

...and it also didn't work. We are talking here about simple 1 or 2-page Word documents (.doc), with plain sentences and breaks between paragraphs. There are no tables, no bullet points, no text boxes, and no other fancy formatting whatsoever. I don't know whether to shoot myself or whoever designed this program!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Revision marks Feb 6, 2006

Hi Jessica,
Have you checked whether the document contains revision marks?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yup... Feb 6, 2006

Hi Ralf,

This particular document didn't have any. One of the documents yesterday would pop-up some revision marks every time I tried translating the problematic segment - so I tried "accepting all formatting changes" before starting anew with the translation - but this still did not help. I also attempted to turn off "Track Changes", I think I did but it's hard to tell when Track Changes is off or on - in any event this also did not work.

Is there anything else I cou
... See more
Hi Ralf,

This particular document didn't have any. One of the documents yesterday would pop-up some revision marks every time I tried translating the problematic segment - so I tried "accepting all formatting changes" before starting anew with the translation - but this still did not help. I also attempted to turn off "Track Changes", I think I did but it's hard to tell when Track Changes is off or on - in any event this also did not work.

Is there anything else I could have done?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What about TagEditor Feb 6, 2006

Hi again,
Does the same error occur when you use TagEditor?

Best, Ralf

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm Feb 6, 2006

I haven't tried Tag Editor because I'm not sure if this would throw the client for a loop. I'm supposed to return the files uncleaned.

I'll give it a try and write right back...

Jessica Klingberg
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Feb 6, 2006

I tried the same document with TagEditor, and precisely when I got to the one problematic segment (in THIS document) I got the error message "At least one tag is missing in the target segment. Would you like to continue?"

Where do I go from here?

I appreciate your help, the Knowledge Base was useless.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the tag... Feb 6, 2006

Hi again,

I tried the same document with TagEditor, and precisely when I got to the one problematic segment (in THIS document) I got the error message "At least one tag is missing in the target segment. Would you like to continue?"

Where do I go from here?

Well, that depends on the tag in question - did you place the tag(s) contained in the source to the target segment?

Best, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 33203: The mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »