Thread poster: Gareth Leung (X)
Gareth Leung (X)
Gareth Leung (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 7, 2010

I've moved to Sydney for more than 2 months. I wanted to find full-time Chinese-English translation work here but so far I've seen no such opening. I contacted Centrelink and CRC but they replied me that there was no vacancy at all. Now I'm considering working as a freelance translator but in the long run I'd prefer an ongoing full-time job. A friend of mine who has been working as an interpreter in Australia for nearly 20 years suggested that I should change my career path, but I really love tr... See more
I've moved to Sydney for more than 2 months. I wanted to find full-time Chinese-English translation work here but so far I've seen no such opening. I contacted Centrelink and CRC but they replied me that there was no vacancy at all. Now I'm considering working as a freelance translator but in the long run I'd prefer an ongoing full-time job. A friend of mine who has been working as an interpreter in Australia for nearly 20 years suggested that I should change my career path, but I really love translation work. Could anybody please give me some advice on the prospect of translators in Australia. You could email me to share with me yours opinions. Thanks!

[Edited at 2010-01-08 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

Elisabeth Kissel
Elisabeth Kissel  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:40
German to English
+ ...
Starting off in Australia Jan 7, 2010

I would recommend that you have your name entered in the NAATI directory (so clients can contact you directly), and another important thing to do would be to join AUSIT. This will give you peer support and networking opportunities.
All the best.

[Edited at 2010-01-08 08:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prospect of working as a translator in Australia

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »