Arturo Raul Miranda de la Colina
Mexico
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2023

Hello,

I am reaching out as a newcomer to Canada, holding a valid work permit. Currently, I am engaged in freelance interpreting services for multiple agencies. In light of this, I have some questions regarding the process of verifying employment for freelance translators and interpreters:

1. How do freelance translators and interpreters demonstrate proof of employment to obtain an OHIP card? or for immigration purposes? (Ex. Showing that you have worked for one full ye
... See more
Hello,

I am reaching out as a newcomer to Canada, holding a valid work permit. Currently, I am engaged in freelance interpreting services for multiple agencies. In light of this, I have some questions regarding the process of verifying employment for freelance translators and interpreters:

1. How do freelance translators and interpreters demonstrate proof of employment to obtain an OHIP card? or for immigration purposes? (Ex. Showing that you have worked for one full year a certain number of hours.)

2. Can the agencies provide a letter of employment for OHIP and immigration purposes? if so, what information needs to be on the letter?

Thank you
Collapse

Karina Pellegrineschi
Karina Pellegrineschi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ontario Health Card Jul 12, 2023

Hi Arturo,

To obtain a Health card, you need 3 documents:

1) Proof of Immigration status: (it could be work permit or temporary resident permit, if you do not have a permanent resident card, etc.)

2) Proof of Residency: (lease or mortgage statement, utility bill, driver licence from Canada)

3) Proof of Identity: (Foreign passport, student Id, etc.)

See list below of possible documents. You only need 1 original of each class (1
... See more
Hi Arturo,

1) Proof of Immigration status: (it could be work permit or temporary resident permit, if you do not have a permanent resident card, etc.)

2) Proof of Residency: (lease or mortgage statement, utility bill, driver licence from Canada)

See list below of possible documents. You only need 1 original of each class (1, 2 & 3), but you cannot have the same document twice.

https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

You do not need to prove employment, but legal status in Canada.

I do not think an agency will give you a letter of employment if you are working as a freelance translator or interpreter as you are not an employee.
Besides, even if you are working it doesn’t matter. What you are required to prove is that you are eligible to live and work in Canada, even if you are unemployed: "immigration status"

I hope it helps.

Karina
Collapse

Mexico
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 16, 2023

Thank you Karina,

The pamphlet they gave me at Service Ontario said that they may require proof of employment for work permit holders, but I'll give it a try with the documents that you suggested, hopefully I can get it without any problems.

Thanks again for your help!

Arturo Miranda

Karina Pellegrineschi wrote:

Hi Arturo,

See list below of possible documents. You only need 1 original of each class (1, 2 & 3), but you cannot have the same document twice.

https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

You do not need to prove employment, but legal status in Canada.

I do not think an agency will give you a letter of employment if you are working as a freelance translator or interpreter as you are not an employee.
Besides, even if you are working it doesn’t matter. What you are required to prove is that you are eligible to live and work in Canada, even if you are unemployed: "immigration status"

I hope it helps.

Karina

Karina Pellegrineschi
Karina Pellegrineschi  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ideas on how to prove employment Jul 18, 2023

Hi Arturo,

Normally, the letter of employment, together with the contract and CV., is submitted to Immigration to obtain the temporary work permit so you are good with the permit alone. But if you did not enter Canada with a family member who is working full time and you got an open work permit, then you are probably required to prove employment. It depends on the kind of work permit or immigration papers you have.

First, I would go to a Welcome Centre or call. Norma
... See more
Hi Arturo,

Normally, the letter of employment, together with the contract and CV., is submitted to Immigration to obtain the temporary work permit so you are good with the permit alone. But if you did not enter Canada with a family member who is working full time and you got an open work permit, then you are probably required to prove employment. It depends on the kind of work permit or immigration papers you have.

First, I would go to a Welcome Centre or call. Normally, they provide information as to what kind of documentation meets the requirements. If you have not filed income tax yet in Canada, I would try to set a benchmark as to how to prove full-time employment as a freelancer or the minimum annual salary.
ATIO, for instance, considers full-time experience as approximately more than 100,000 words per year or at least 30 hours per week for translators, and you need to prove 2 years of experience (i.e., 200,000) if you have a bachelor’s degree. The equivalent for a community interpreter is a bachelor and 300 hours (so maybe 150 hours per year?) and it can be attested by letters of reference or invoices from clients. See https://atio.on.ca/membership/application/

So, I would have this as a benchmark to prove or that, per month, you reach at least the minimum salary in Canada. The agencies would provide letters of reference. Prepare the letters for them to print in letterhead paper, sign, and seal, so they do not have to do it for you. The letter should state that with a period of time (i.e., JAN-JUL 2023) you as a freelancer worked for them xxx number of hours for xxx amount of money.

Then, maybe you can get an accountant to certify that according to all the info from invoices and letters from clients you earned as a freelancer an average of xxx amount per month or year or worked xxx number of hours per month during the time you have been here in Canada. Then, I would bring the accountant ‘s letter and the agencies’ reference letters and the CV. as supporting documentation. You can ask at the welcome Centre if this would suffix.

Take care,
Karina

See links below: I think you will have to prove equivalent of 30 hours/week for at least 6 months = 780 hours (6 months). Confirm this with the Welcome Centre.

For the health card, you need 6 months at full time
Immigration considers 1,560 hours = 1 year full time

https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card#:~:text=this%20must%20be%20an%20original,title/occupation%20of%20the%20position

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=664&top=29

[Edited at 2023-07-18 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
Full time employment Oct 30, 2023

Hi,
Were you able to obtain OHIP? According to the regulations you would need to provide proof of full-time employment for at least 6 months, it does not have to be in the past, it can be a letter from an employer stating that you have a job (or even job offer) for at least 6 months on a full time basis, so this may be impossible to obtain as a freelancer. Also, please note that self-employment does not count as work experience in Canada for immigration purposes if you will want to proceed
... See more
Hi,
Were you able to obtain OHIP? According to the regulations you would need to provide proof of full-time employment for at least 6 months, it does not have to be in the past, it can be a letter from an employer stating that you have a job (or even job offer) for at least 6 months on a full time basis, so this may be impossible to obtain as a freelancer. Also, please note that self-employment does not count as work experience in Canada for immigration purposes if you will want to proceed wiht PR application later.
Collapse

NancyLynn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance Interpreter Proof of Employment for Ontario Health Card

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »