Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2012

Hi,

I'd like to take another DipTrans and I'm struggling to find a centre in Spain (where I live) that has computers available.
I don't really mind travelling to the UK to take my exam but my preference would be to remain inside Spain and not add too much to the costs of travel.
I'm having trouble contacting the British Councils (I'm getting out-of-office replies that they're on holiday until the 3rd of September, which doesn't help much when the deadline for applicati
... See more
Hi,

I'd like to take another DipTrans and I'm struggling to find a centre in Spain (where I live) that has computers available.
I don't really mind travelling to the UK to take my exam but my preference would be to remain inside Spain and not add too much to the costs of travel.
I'm having trouble contacting the British Councils (I'm getting out-of-office replies that they're on holiday until the 3rd of September, which doesn't help much when the deadline for applications is 31st of August), and the few places on the IoL list of centres who have answered my queries have said that they don't allow the use of computers.
There's no way I'm taking the exam with pen and paper if I can use a computer and I'd rather fly to the UK if necessary but I was wondering if perhaps someone had taken the exam at a centre in Spain where there were computers and can pass me the contact details?
Thanks
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
British Council in Madrid Jul 26, 2012

Hello there!

So you are doing it again! Good idea. I should try with English, but honestly I would need to train a lot for that and I just lack the time to do it.

As for the exam, I took the exam at the British Council in Madrid, where the examination room and service were to my entire satisfaction. I would definitely choose them for a location with use of computers.

As for trying to contact
... See more
Hello there!

So you are doing it again! Good idea. I should try with English, but honestly I would need to train a lot for that and I just lack the time to do it.

As for the exam, I took the exam at the British Council in Madrid, where the examination room and service were to my entire satisfaction. I would definitely choose them for a location with use of computers.

As for trying to contact them, I think you'd be on the safe side if you simply registered for the IOL's exam by August 31st, which is the unmoveable deadline for the IOL. In the registration form, state the British Council in Madrid as the location and then contact the BC as soon as you can after the summer, since they do not have a closed deadline as far as I am aware, and shall not have any problem at all as long as you let them know quickly and pay their sitting fee. This was my experience at least.

Good luck with the exam!

PS: If you happen to come to Madrid for the exam, it would be grand to meet you there (I live some 60 km from the city) for a coffee if you have the time.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tomás Jul 26, 2012

Thanks for your excellent (as usual) advice Tomás. I was a bit worried about their long holidays because on the application form I have to state that the British Council has already authorised me to sit it at their premises but I'll see what I can do to get around that.
I'm glad at least that they have computers and that I may not have to travel further than Madrid this time!
It would be lovely to meet you for a coffee...
See more
Thanks for your excellent (as usual) advice Tomás. I was a bit worried about their long holidays because on the application form I have to state that the British Council has already authorised me to sit it at their premises but I'll see what I can do to get around that.
I'm glad at least that they have computers and that I may not have to travel further than Madrid this time!
It would be lovely to meet you for a coffee
I'll definitely let you know.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sending emails via private email Jul 26, 2012

I found the email address of the person who was in charge of DipTrans examinations in Madrid, in case you want to email her address directly.

See you around!

Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Anyone else had a good experience at the BC in Madrid? Jun 15, 2014

I'm planning to do the DipTrans in Jan next year and am looking for a centre that will let me use a computer with Word in Spain. A colleague had a really bad experience at the BC in Madrid a few years ago, but the flights from where I live in Spain to take it in the UK would mean I'd need to be away for 2 nights.

Has anyone done it at the BC in Madrid recently? How was it? Tomás, could you PM me your contact at the BC?

Thanks,
Lucy

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everything went fantastic at the British Countil Jun 15, 2014

When I took the exam at the British Council in Madrid, it all went really well. The exam room and computer were in perfect shape and the service I received was grand. I no longer have the emails I exchanged with them back then. There are several people at the Examinations department, and all of them were very helpful.

I would definitely recommend the British Council for the DipTrans examinations.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm planning to do it in Barcelona Jun 15, 2014

Or, that's what I tell myself! I've got until Friday to decide (so I can benefit from the early enrollment discount).

However, I've no idea whether you can use a computer in Barcelona, not that it worries me unduly.

If I manage to find out, I'll let you know.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
More comments Jun 15, 2014

Lucy Williams wrote:

Has anyone done it at the BC in Madrid recently?

I've just replied to the comment you left on my blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/06/11/diptrans-miti/

By the way, for anyone considering the pros and cons of taking the exam in Spain or the UK:

- A suitcase full of dictionaries more or less rules out distance travel. EasyJet would have a field day with its excess weight charges! And you might hurt your back as well.

- I hear that DipTrans exam centres in the UK get crammed (understandably, since it's a UK exam). In Madrid, there were 5 of us in a spacious exam room.

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
Thanks for all your comments! Jun 15, 2014

Emma, thanks for the point about weight limits when flying I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll do it in Madrid then, better get a move on and take advantage of the early booking discount!

Tomás, I've e mailed the BC anyway to ask about computers, so will see what they say, but I'm fairly sure I'll do it there.

Thanks everyone

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea Jun 15, 2014

Lucy Williams wrote:
Tomás, I've e mailed the BC anyway to ask about computers, so will see what they say, but I'm fairly sure I'll do it there.

Good idea. As for dictionaries, I took two full suitcases of dictionaries to the exam, although I only ended up using about 1/3 of the resources I brought with me. I remember that they at the BC were so kind as to let me leave the suitcases in the exam room the evening before, so that I did not have to drag them to the place in the morning and could arrive more relaxed to the venue.

If you go to the BC by car, there is a suitable little garage just around the corner, in Fernández de la Hoz street, where you can usually always find parking space. I found it reasonably priced too, for the time you need to be at the BC for the exam.

Good luck!!

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
No car.. Jun 15, 2014

It'll be the AVE up from Seville. I'm going to do all three on one day, about what time will I finish?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hm... Suggestion to arrive the day before Jun 15, 2014

Lucy Williams wrote:
It'll be the AVE up from Seville. I'm going to do all three on one day, about what time will I finish?

It is best that you confirm all the details with the venue, but as far as I remember we started at 10 AM and finished around 3 PM, with short breaks between the papers and one brake for lunch at 1 PM. I am saying this from the top of my head, so it is best to base any arrangements on actual data provided by the BC.

If I were you, I would definitely come in the evening before the exam and stay for the night, so that you come fully relaxed to the exam. If I may, I would recommend a little NH Hotel right by the Atocha station, the NH Sur. It is cost-effective but correct and two different friends who have stayed there so far have been happy. From the hotel to the BC it is a matter of some 15-20 minutes in a cab, but you can also take line 1 of the underground and get the the BC in a total of some 35 minutes (5 minutes walk + 20 minutes underground + 5-10 minutes walk). Just let me know in case I can help with any suggestions!

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
Thanks Jun 15, 2014

Yes, I was planning to go up the day before, I'll look at the hotel you recommend.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taking the DipTrans in Spain

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »