Thread poster: David Evans
David Evans
David Evans  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:20
Catalan to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2012

This is a question that other freelancers in Spain may be able to help me with. I know there are lots of posts about this but I can't find the answer I'm looking for and Hacienda has given me contradictory information.

I have just one small invoice in the entire year for an EU company outside Spain. Practically all of my business is done in Spain.

Do I need to register as an intra-community operator in order to invoice this company without VAT?

Thanks very
... See more
This is a question that other freelancers in Spain may be able to help me with. I know there are lots of posts about this but I can't find the answer I'm looking for and Hacienda has given me contradictory information.

I have just one small invoice in the entire year for an EU company outside Spain. Practically all of my business is done in Spain.

Do I need to register as an intra-community operator in order to invoice this company without VAT?

Thanks very much

[Edited at 2012-12-09 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To me, you do Dec 9, 2012

I think you will have to, since any intra-communitary operator's VAT number is bound to be checked by the customers' accountants in order to ensure that they will have no trouble adding the invoice to their accounting and tax statements.

I think having an intra-communitary VAT number costs nothing and is just a matter of filling and submitting a form, very probably the 036. If you have a "gestoría", they will easily do that, I guess.

In case you feel that it is not wor
... See more
I think you will have to, since any intra-communitary operator's VAT number is bound to be checked by the customers' accountants in order to ensure that they will have no trouble adding the invoice to their accounting and tax statements.

I think having an intra-communitary VAT number costs nothing and is just a matter of filling and submitting a form, very probably the 036. If you have a "gestoría", they will easily do that, I guess.

In case you feel that it is not worth the effort, you could also relinquish your charges to the customer...
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Par for the course Dec 10, 2012

David Evans wrote:
... Hacienda has given me contradictory information.

[Edited at 2012-12-09 17:37 GMT]

Plus ca change.

[quote]David Evans wrote:
"I have just one small invoice in the entire year for an EU company outside Spain. Practically all of my business is done in Spain. Do I need to register as an intra-community operator in order to invoice this company without VAT?"

I too only have one client outside Spain and I bill him without IRPF or IVA and declare it at the end of the year. AFAIK the intra-community VAT number is simply your NIF with the national prefix, ES in the case of Spain. It's not too had to get one - the last time I went to Hacienda (in July) I was surprised how quickly it went.

David Evans
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 10, 2012

Thanks very much for the help. Another morning in Hacienda to look forward to then!

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Model 036 Dec 10, 2012

Yes, you need to fill in Model 036 section 6 D. You will have it within a few days.

David Evans
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jan 14, 2013

Just a word of warning for anybody who needs to go through this process and is looking for a quick result. It's perfectly straightforward to do but the wait may be longer than you'd like - it took over a month for my number to be validated. Might depend on your local Hacienda office, of course.

Enrique F Granados-González
Enrique F Granados-González  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take care Jan 14, 2013

If you get an European VAT number just for a single invoice you must be aware that you should declare every three months a resume of your intra-EU operations, I think even if you do not have any operation to declare (349 form). It's quite annoying if you don't operate frequently with other EU companies. Be careful about that.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
annual declaration with 349 Jan 14, 2013

Enrique F Granados-González wrote:

If you get an European VAT number just for a single invoice you must be aware that you should declare every three months a resume of your intra-EU operations

You only have to declare annually (in March) if the total sum is under €35,000 (I think).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intra-community VAT number in Spain

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »