Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2015

I recommended installing Wordfast Classic to a colleague and collaborator today, but was surprised to find the licenece fee is now 400 euros, which seems to be a lot more than I recall paying for my last licence in 2014 (and is more than she can afford right now).
I'd like to know:
1.- Are there any discounts available other than the one for developing countries?
2.- I thought the licence lasted 2 years - is that still the case, or is it now valid for longer?
3.-If we do
... See more
I recommended installing Wordfast Classic to a colleague and collaborator today, but was surprised to find the licenece fee is now 400 euros, which seems to be a lot more than I recall paying for my last licence in 2014 (and is more than she can afford right now).
I'd like to know:
1.- Are there any discounts available other than the one for developing countries?
2.- I thought the licence lasted 2 years - is that still the case, or is it now valid for longer?
3.-If we do purchase a licence at that price, how many PCs/laptops can we install it on? ideally my colleague would like to have it on at least one PC and one laptop.

TIA.
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The Wordfast store and other links Sep 10, 2015

https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=buy&lang=engb

The Wordfast store

Wordfast products are try-before-you-buy. You must have downloaded, installed, and evaluated the product(s) before purchase. No refunds. Wordfast offers a generous demo mode; gratuity applies to learning/humanitarian organisations.

If you own an old, expired licen
... See more

The Wordfast store

Wordfast products are try-before-you-buy. You must have downloaded, installed, and evaluated the product(s) before purchase. No refunds. Wordfast offers a generous demo mode; gratuity applies to learning/humanitarian organisations.

If you own an old, expired license, do not buy a new one. Instead, log in at the top of this page and renew your license (you will pay much less!).

Taxes, like European VAT, may apply depending on the location/jurisdiction you are buying from. Our payment processing partner handles those.

A discount automatically applies for large orders (15% over 2 licenses, 30% over 9 licenses). Contact us for orders above 15 licenses.

Arabic translators can get a special price by contacting: arabic(at)wordfast.net
Questions? See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on buying Wordfast licenses.

https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=faqbuying&lang=engb

https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=mutual&lang=engb

Trainers do not provide hotline or support, but training sessions. Professional training is not free. The fee is entirely at the trainer`s discretion and should be openly discussed and agreed upon beforehand. Wordfast does not interfere in the training in any way, does not take any percentage or any supplementary fee.

Note: Trainees who have paid for and received a training session of at least one full day are eligible to a discount, over 20%, off a Wordfast license when they buy the license, no later than 3 months after their training session. Consult the trainer for details.

Wiki page:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Classic

Milan Condak
Czech Wordfast Trainer
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Neil Sep 10, 2015

neilmac wrote:
I recommended installing Wordfast Classic to a colleague and collaborator today, but was surprised to find the licence fee is now 400 euros, which seems to be a lot more than I recall paying for my last licence in 2014.

Yes, the price of WFC has gone up dramatically in the past decade:

2004: EUR 180
2007: EUR 250
2009: EUR 280
2010: EUR 330
2011: EUR 350 each, EUR 500 for both
2013: EUR 400 each, EUR 500 for both
now: EUR 400 each, EUR 500 for both

Nope (except for bulk orders).

Oh, and except for special offers. There is currently a ProZ.com group buy with 5 units left: EUR 300 for both
http://www.proz.com/tgb/986

It has always been valid for 3 years, and still is.

3.-If we do purchase a licence at that price, how many PCs/laptops can we install it on?

One license is valid for up to two computers that are owned and used by the same person. In practice you can install WFC up to four times before the auto-relicense feature is temporarily disabled, and if you don't re-connect to the internet, then no-one at Wordfast will know if you're sharing it with another person, but... that would not be honest.

Of course, WFC 3.35x is still completely free, but lacks many features (the file formats are fully compatible with the latest version, though).

==

Oh, I assume you are aware that you can install WFC without a licence, that will run fully featured, except that the TM size is limited to about 500 segments, right?

[Edited at 2015-09-10 19:55 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Versions 4, 5, 6 Sep 10, 2015

neilmac wrote:

The licence lasts 3 years.

There are some exceptions:

Upgrades of license for versions 6 are sold for 50% of current price.

https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage&lang=engb

You can download 2 previous versions (or use some beta from similar versions) with no-time limited period, but binded to HW (HDD) and SW (OS, MS Word)

Wordfast Classic 5, Build 5.92m For all platforms. 24 Dec 2010, 2.2 Mb

Wordfast Classic 4, Build 4.22t. (PC only) click here for the manual v. 4, 01 Jun 2004 , 588 Kb.

The licenses for previous versions are sold for current price.

Milan

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Sep 10, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Oh, I assume you are aware that you can install WFC without a licence, that will run fully featured, except that the TM size is limited to about 500 segments, right?

[Edited at 2015-09-10 19:55 GMT]

Thanks for that Samuel, and yes, we knew that, but my colleague has been using the demo version to get the hang of using WF and now says "her TMs are full"in that version, which is why I suggested getting the full licence, but she can't afford 400 ecus right now. We'll struggle on without it for now and I'll have a look at my finances in October (after quarterly taxes and summertime bills are paid) to see if we can arrange something.

Thanks for the info, I kept getting lost in the WF website...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tx Sep 10, 2015

Milan Condak wrote:

The Wordfast store

Wiki page:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Classic

Milan Condak
Czech Wordfast Trainer

Thanks for the info. It would have taken me forever to find it on the website and I've been really busy the past few days...

[Edited at 2015-09-10 20:23 GMT]

Maria-Christina Rizopoulou
Maria-Christina Rizopoulou  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Greek
+ ...
Use of one license by two different people not possible then Nov 10, 2015

Hi all,

thanks for these clarifications.

I was also wondering if one license can be installed in two different computers which are used by different persons, in the sense that if one doesnot need to use it anymore, if he could pass it to some one else.

Samuel's reply made it clear to me that this is not possible/ cannnot work!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
Finnish to French
License agreement Nov 10, 2015

MC_Christi wrote:
I was also wondering if one license can be installed in two different computers which are used by different persons, in the sense that if one doesnot need to use it anymore, if he could pass it to some one else.

FWIW, the license agreement says:
Licenses cannot be sold or transferred to other persons or corporations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some WF licencing info needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »