Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 22, 2016

After I took in use a new laptop I had to buy the newest office, 2016. I downloaded also the newest version of WFC, 6.44.
To my surprise the interface has changed considerably from what we are used to since ages. There are dark blue bars under open target segments, and I see no more the match percentage for the open segment. On finding a match WFC displays a lot of suggestions, mostly exactly the same, beneath each other.
WFC is also slightly slower than on my previous machine with
... See more
After I took in use a new laptop I had to buy the newest office, 2016. I downloaded also the newest version of WFC, 6.44.
To my surprise the interface has changed considerably from what we are used to since ages. There are dark blue bars under open target segments, and I see no more the match percentage for the open segment. On finding a match WFC displays a lot of suggestions, mostly exactly the same, beneath each other.
WFC is also slightly slower than on my previous machine with Word 2010.

So I wonder if this a feature of WFC or of Word 2016. Can I have the old view back please?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 22, 2016

I got a new PC last week with Windows 10 and Office 2016 - and my WFC interface looks the same as described. I've just opened a document in which I translated only the first sentence before lunch. The blue line contains the text of the translated segment... I've no idea what it's for. I never bother looking at match percentages anyway.... I also get the suggestions but I usually just ignore them.
One of my biggest tech bugbears is when I invest money in a new PC or operating system or what
... See more
I got a new PC last week with Windows 10 and Office 2016 - and my WFC interface looks the same as described. I've just opened a document in which I translated only the first sentence before lunch. The blue line contains the text of the translated segment... I've no idea what it's for. I never bother looking at match percentages anyway.... I also get the suggestions but I usually just ignore them.
One of my biggest tech bugbears is when I invest money in a new PC or operating system or whatever and find out that the previous interface has been "improved", which usually means that you can't find anything easily and the simplest of tasks can be a hassle.
My main issue right now is with Google Chrome - for some reason it won't work properly on this new PC and my tech guy says the issue is with Chrome, not the PC...

[Edited at 2016-06-22 16:20 GMT]

PS: I've started translating the document and the blue bar has disappeared....

[Edited at 2016-06-22 17:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-06-22 17:09 GMT]

PPS: Now I have the unclean versión ready and I'm checking the translated segments - the blue bar now appears under each translated segment, but I don't know why. It doesn't seem to affect the finished document or the process though, so I'm not worried about it for now.

[Edited at 2016-06-22 17:49 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We can de-activate these features Jun 22, 2016

I found out now, that we need to go to Setup > AS and remove the checkmarks on the boxes we don't want. After that WFC looks the same again as before, hopefully it will also speed up behavour.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's handy to know Jun 23, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I found out now, that we need to go to Setup > AS and remove the checkmarks on the boxes we don't want. After that WFC looks the same again as before, hopefully it will also speed up behavour.

That was useful! I normally just use the default settings....

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Windows 10 + Google Chrome + Dragon compatibility issue Nov 3, 2016

Since I got a new PC with W10, I found that I keep getting a black screen problem with Chrome. I haven't had time to sort it out yet, but over the months I've noticed that when I open Chrome , it works fine for a while, but as soon as I open Dragon NS, the screen goes black and Chrome won't work again unless I reboot the PC and start from scratch. There must be some way to fix this without having to reinstall the OS, but my knowledge of these things is limited.

[Edited at 2016-11-03 13:03
... See more
Since I got a new PC with W10, I found that I keep getting a black screen problem with Chrome. I haven't had time to sort it out yet, but over the months I've noticed that when I open Chrome , it works fine for a while, but as soon as I open Dragon NS, the screen goes black and Chrome won't work again unless I reboot the PC and start from scratch. There must be some way to fix this without having to reinstall the OS, but my knowledge of these things is limited.

[Edited at 2016-11-03 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange (new?) interface of WFC

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »