Valérie KARAM
Valérie KARAM  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:02
Member (2015)
English to French
Oct 8, 2016

Hello,
I need to translate website content with shtml pages. I couldn't upload shtml files in WFA but found a way to convert them into html. The problem is, after translating, I downloaded them as html and couldn't find a way to convert them back into shtml. I am told that there is "virtually" no difference between shtml and html but still, I am stuck since my client wants the file in the same format after as before, which makes sense...
What can I do?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Look into the code Oct 8, 2016

SHTML is basically HTML that includes server instructions. So, try simply renaming something.shtml to something.html and uploading to WFA. Alternatively, look into the SHTML code and find server instructions here. Perhaps, it will be enough to copy and paste them to the translated file.

Valérie KARAM
France
Member (2015)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Would renaming the file work after download? Oct 8, 2016

Because actually, I found a way to convert into html to upload to WFA, my problem is the other way, after translation and download as html, I couldn't find a way to convert it back into shtml. Can I just rename the file, changing the extension? Seems too nice to be true!
I really don't feel like fiddling with the code, I asked their web designer for help...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Oct 9, 2016

As I said, try, just try renaming the file and uploading it to WFA. You have translated its contents anyway and won’t waste too much time re-translating. Thus, download then the translated version and rename it back to *.shtml. Compare the original and the translated file in order to see if any changes relate only to the translated contents (I would use jEdit + jDIff plugin, but there are plenty tools for such a task).

[Edited at 2016-10-09 08:07 GMT]

Valérie KARAM
France
Member (2015)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 9, 2016

I'll try that and let you know, thank you!

Valérie KARAM
France
Member (2015)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Still no worky Oct 19, 2016

Yeah, it took all that time to get there: I uploaded the renamed file, translated it, downloaded it (ended up with a zip file!?) sent it to my client's web designer.

And yesterday, he replied to tell me that "what the CAT tool is doing will be problematic. It is adding a HUGE amount of code (CSS) that doesn't need to be there. It is also still using, as far as I can tell, the parsed HTML and that won't work, unfortunately."

So he's thinking of giving me an FTP a
... See more
Yeah, it took all that time to get there: I uploaded the renamed file, translated it, downloaded it (ended up with a zip file!?) sent it to my client's web designer.

And yesterday, he replied to tell me that "what the CAT tool is doing will be problematic. It is adding a HUGE amount of code (CSS) that doesn't need to be there. It is also still using, as far as I can tell, the parsed HTML and that won't work, unfortunately."

So he's thinking of giving me an FTP access to a subdirectory for me to translate via an "html cleaner" tool that allows to clear all the code from the file so that only the text appears for translation. God knows how I will be able to get a wordcount from there...

But still, I don't understand why it doesn't work. I translate web pages for another client via their platform (Wordbee) and never had a problem...

If anyone has an idea... Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't download shtml from WF Anywhere

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »