WFC: How to remove glossary repetitions?
Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2018

Is there's a relatively simple way in a newer WordFast Classic to remove duplicates in three glossaries? A colleague got a glossary form her client, and while it does show G1, G2, or G3, but there're too many repetitive entries to track them down manually.

Merging the glossaries doesn't help either for
File is too big too sort!

While there's a "Consider these glossaries as one single glossary_1,2,3", yet re-organizing doesn't remove repetitions for they are still separate files.

TY

[Edited at 2018-08-27 13:48 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
English to French
+ ...
Try the Data Editor Aug 27, 2018

Have you tried the Data Editor (Ctrl+Alt+Enter) ?
You may then try, after selecting a glossary, to click on the Tools tab and, on the Glossary tools tab, click on Mark redundant entries, then click OK. Take a look at the glossary to make sure that redundant entries are marked, then hit the Delete key. At that point, marked entries should have turned into blank lines. To remove them completely from the glossary, hit Ctrl+Delete.

Repeat for all glossaries.

I'm writi
... See more
Have you tried the Data Editor (Ctrl+Alt+Enter) ?
You may then try, after selecting a glossary, to click on the Tools tab and, on the Glossary tools tab, click on Mark redundant entries, then click OK. Take a look at the glossary to make sure that redundant entries are marked, then hit the Delete key. At that point, marked entries should have turned into blank lines. To remove them completely from the glossary, hit Ctrl+Delete.

Repeat for all glossaries.

I'm writing this procedure from memory, I haven't tried it myself.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
another low-tech idea Aug 27, 2018

If my idea doesn't work, there's a low-tech way:

Open the glossaries in Word or the text editor of your choice, sort the entries in alphabetical order, then manually delete all redundant entries.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 27, 2018

However, the point is it's about duplicates between three (3) different big glossaries (200k+ entries each), which cannot be rearranged in WFC as a single file.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Excel | Remove duplicates?? Aug 27, 2018

Ah. I see, I may have read your original post too fast.

How about importing each glossaries in Excel, and try "Remove duplicates" (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/filter-for-unique-values-or-remove-duplicate-values-ccf664b0-81d6-449b-bbe1-8daaec1e83c2)??

I've never used the feature on data bases so large, however.

DZiW wrote:

However, the point is it's about duplicates between three (3) different big glossaries (200k+ entries each), which cannot be rearranged in WFC as a single file.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@DZiW Aug 27, 2018

DZiW wrote:

1. Do you want to remove entries based on identical source text only, based on identical source and target text, or based on the entire glossary entry (i.e. if source and target is identical but the comment is different, then don't delete it)?

2. What operating system is this for?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC: How to remove glossary repetitions?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »