Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to get paid fot the job you have done?
Thread poster: AnnSur
Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Prevention is better Oct 20, 2015

Prevention is better. Here is my rule.

1. Never accept a project without at least 50% prepaid down payment, except the client(s) is/ are your family member or a very very close person for you.
2. Never dependent on agencies. They are sometime useful, however, you need to reach end-users with your own hand.
3. You should check your potential client whether his/ her name, address, photograph, etc are true and legitimate.
4. You need to have a website or a blog in a
... See more

1. Never accept a project without at least 50% prepaid down payment, except the client(s) is/ are your family member or a very very close person for you.
2. Never dependent on agencies. They are sometime useful, however, you need to reach end-users with your own hand.
3. You should check your potential client whether his/ her name, address, photograph, etc are true and legitimate.
4. You need to have a website or a blog in a popular blog provider. Maintain it and ensure your blog is listed by Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Yandex. If you got bad client and you can't get your full right from him, put REAL EVIDENCE, his name, photograph, story, company, his PROZ profile url, work address, home address, source document, and anything you know in your website or blog. If your client is agent, broke any agreement and disclose its information, including souce documents, its client name, etc. If you know his secrets, reveal them all in your website.

You loss your money and he loss his reputation. (loss-loss solution?????? )

My past client did the same as yours. Then, I put all evidence and information about him in my website, and he, then, paid fully. I, as a consequence, erased the content of him from my website.

BTW, all translators ever got bad client at least once along their professional life. Don't give up.
Legal action is too complex and expensive. Unless involving a great lump of money, I don't think it is a good and cheap solution.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:36 GMT]
Collapse

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:03
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Bad advice Oct 20, 2015

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

4. You need to have a website or a blog in a popular blog provider. Maintain it and ensure your blog is listed by Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Yandex. If you got bad client and you can't get your full right from him, put REAL EVIDENCE, his name, photograph, story, company, his PROZ profile url, work address, home address, source document, and anything you know in your website or blog. If your client is agent, broke any agreement and disclose its information, including souce documents, its client name, etc. If you know his secrets, reveal them all in your website.

You loss your money and he loss his reputation. (loss-loss solution?????? )

My past client did the same as yours. Then, I put all evidence and information about him in my website, and he, then, paid fully. I, as a consequence, erased the content of him from my website.

BTW, all translators ever got bad client at least once along their professional life. Don't give up.
Legal action is too complex and expensive. Unless involving a great lump of money, I don't think it is a good and cheap solution.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:36 GMT]

Most of what you are suggesting is against the law.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:03
German to Swedish
+ ...
No Oct 20, 2015

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

Legal action is too complex and expensive.

No, it's not. In the EU, it's extremely simple and straightforward. Anybody with half a brain can do it. Which should include at least some translators.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
My post was in reply to Magdalena Kowalska's post Oct 20, 2015

Merab Dekano wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Magdalena Kowalska wrote:

We need to know the name of the company, please.

it is prohibited by the site rules.

From what I understood from her Polish writing (Russian helps), she sent the name to a private email, which is allowed and much appreciated, I beleive.

Not the OP's.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get paid fot the job you have done?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »