Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:50
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Likewise doubt you can make 15k RMB Nov 13, 2015

....in China as a translator under the "in house" tag. Note: I specifically refer to the "in house" translators. In my very own, potentially biased experience, in-house (especially gaming) tends to pay rather little.

That being said, think of the other benefits- this could be one heck of an experience of a lifetime.

Best of luck.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
For gaming, yes Nov 13, 2015

Rita Pang wrote:

....in China as a translator under the "in house" tag. Note: I specifically refer to the "in house" translators. In my very own, potentially biased experience, in-house (especially gaming) tends to pay rather little.

That being said, think of the other benefits- this could be one heck of an experience of a lifetime.

Best of luck.

Rita, I'll disagree slightly in that I know of at least one translator who is almost assuredly making more than 15,000 in-house in China for a Chinese company. But I do agree with you that this would be unlikely if working for a gaming company in China. My skepticism about Chinese gaming companies' financial abilities is also why I hope the OP is careful regarding his visa.

Maxim Olshin
Maxim Olshin
Ukraine
Local time: 16:50
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for the input! Nov 13, 2015

I'm having an interview with their HR pretty soon, and I'll try to find out the whole visa situation. As to the the initial question of salary, frankly, I was hoping for at least 20,000, which isn't happening, it seems. =) Then again, I'm pretty ignorant of usual wages of in-house translators on the global scale, and Ukrainian/Russian wages are simply miserable and are not to be taken into account; and 20,000 would be about 500 bucks more than I earn now. (I need and incentive to move, do... See more
I'm having an interview with their HR pretty soon, and I'll try to find out the whole visa situation. As to the the initial question of salary, frankly, I was hoping for at least 20,000, which isn't happening, it seems. =) Then again, I'm pretty ignorant of usual wages of in-house translators on the global scale, and Ukrainian/Russian wages are simply miserable and are not to be taken into account; and 20,000 would be about 500 bucks more than I earn now. (I need and incentive to move, don't I)? xD

So, do you guys think I should lower my expectations, or is it worth a try? The company seems to be an upper-tier one, at least (as far as I understand they have a dedicated gym, a canteen and insurance plans for their employees, which would make them pretty fancy here in Ukraine, at least)

[Редактировалось 2015-11-13 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, but not everyone Nov 14, 2015

YJ ZHANG wrote:

If a freelancer charges 0.30 RMB per word, He/She needs to translate 50,000 words in order to make 15,000 RMB each month. Assume the average output is 300 words per hour, that demands 167 hours per month, a closer number to the monthly office working hour. Is 0.30 RMB a fair rate in China? If so, 15,000 RMB is quite reasonable for an in-house translator. I saw some 0.10 RMB offers on line, for the 0.10 RMB rate, a freelancer has to translate 150,000 words, works 500 hours to make 15,000 RMB.

From this Chinese forum, we know that there really are some freelance Chinese translators who are offered a translation rate of up to 0.1 USD per word or even higher. So, if they translate an average number of 1,000 words one day, they can earn some 600 Yuan, and hence can earn some 15,000 Yuan per month if they work 25 days a month. Of course, honestly speaking, the number of such translators is quite small.

[Edited at 2015-11-14 15:19 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Average salaries for university and college graduates have fallen quite a lot in recent years Nov 14, 2015

ysun wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

My suggestion is around 15,000 RMB Yuan per month plus other benefits

How much you ask is one side of story and how much they would offer is another side of the story. Please watch this video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-DtvyTq5Q

The first candidate Zhen Kai has a master degree in Computer Science & Technology from Tsinghua University. He was looking for a position of Product Manager and asked for 15,000-20,000 RMB per month, but he left the stage empty-handed. The second candidate An Fang has a PhD degree in Clinical Medical Science from Peking University. Somehow, she was looking for a job in project management and merely asked for 6,000 RMB/month. Finally, she got an offer of 9,000+ RMB/month. In fact, I feel deeply sorry for these two candidates. I think both of them are outstanding candidates and deserve a much higher salary.

That's my strong feeling and impression, although it might not seem so nominally. I think this was caused partly by currency inflation and partly by enrollment expansion of college students.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
see below Nov 16, 2015

Maxim Olshin wrote:

I'm having an interview with their HR pretty soon, and I'll try to find out the whole visa situation. As to the the initial question of salary, frankly, I was hoping for at least 20,000, which isn't happening, it seems. =) T I)? xD

Hi Maxim,

There are always two sides to the coin- the way I see it, either way, this will be a new professional and cultural experience for you. If your gut feeling is that this is very much worth a try, you might want to stick to a potentially lower salary in order to get hired.

No contract will ever include in its T&Cs the clause to prohibit an employee from negotiating their own salary and packages once they are INSIDE the company. What's stopping you after you passed your probation period to say to your boss, hey, what say you to a little raise? Just prove that you're worth it and I think everything can be negotiable.

TBH I think you're pushing it to ask for 20,000. I am not saying you're not worth it. My thought is that if they are sponsoring your visa and giving you all those benefits you mentioned - gym, food and insurance- 15,000 is a really good deal. They are hiring you based on the reported credentials you have, without really meeting you in person. There's a certain degree of risk from the company too. I am not saying you should jump on 15k and say YES! I LOVE THIS PRICE POINT! But I'm saying that if you push the quote too high, you might run the risk of losing it. If you want this job more than ever- maybe it's not a bad idea to take what they have offer. For now, at least, and then work your way up.

And let's face it, chances are there's someone out there with your exact same skills who'd jump on the 15k for this cultural experience.

Best of luck.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for in-house expat translators in China

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »