Nadine Michelle Ducca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2021

Hi everyone!

I became a freelance translator on June 1 and, honestly, I've been very lucky because I immediately made several great contacts through Proz and have worked nonstop since then, mainly in subtitling. Yesterday morning, I delivered a task... and today I don't have any work to do.

The rational part of my brain tells me it's fine, I know more work is coming soon because the client told me so. Plus, I'm just starting out so I need to get established. But the mor
... See more
Hi everyone!

I became a freelance translator on June 1 and, honestly, I've been very lucky because I immediately made several great contacts through Proz and have worked nonstop since then, mainly in subtitling. Yesterday morning, I delivered a task... and today I don't have any work to do.

The rational part of my brain tells me it's fine, I know more work is coming soon because the client told me so. Plus, I'm just starting out so I need to get established. But the more emotional part of my brain is freaking out about the future: "what if I don't get any work this month?", "what about next month, next year???" Things like that.

So, it's only been a month since I'm freelancing and I'd like to know if you have any general advice on how to manage these ups and downs or if you can share your experiences. I'm aware that I'm probably exaggerating and everything will be okay if I keep at it, but I'd like to hear from more experienced professionals.

Thank you!
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Enjoy it Jul 8, 2021

Nadine Michelle Ducca wrote:

Hi everyone!

The rational part of my brain tells me it's fine, I know more work is coming soon because the client told me so. Plus, I'm just starting out so I need to get established. But the more emotional part of my brain is freaking out about the future: "what if I don't get any work this month?", "what about next month, next year???" Things like that.

So, it's only been a month since I'm freelancing and I'd like to know if you have any general advice on how to manage these ups and downs or if you can share your experiences. I'm aware that I'm probably exaggerating and everything will be okay if I keep at it, but I'd like to hear from more experienced professionals.

Thank you!

Logical answer would be use it to build up your business (marketing, administration, etc., etc.), but when you really get established, you will be thinking back on this question (and my answer).

[Edited at 2021-07-08 11:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-08 11:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-08 11:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-08 11:10 GMT]

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Nadine Michelle Ducca
Matthias Brombach
Philip Lees
Alison Jenner

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Use downtime to develop your skill set and your business Jul 8, 2021

• Polish your CV/resume

• Create a detailed price-list (so that you are always ready to send it to a prospective client)

• Read up on your areas of expertise

• Develop industry-, client- and/or project-specific glossaries

• Try some CAT tools, free or paid ones

• Try some translation project management tools, such as Translation Office 3000, Protemos, LSP.expert

• Learn how to do OCR properly

• Learn tou... See more
  • Polish your CV/resume

• Create a detailed price-list (so that you are always ready to send it to a prospective client)

• Read up on your areas of expertise

• Develop industry-, client- and/or project-specific glossaries

• Try some CAT tools, free or paid ones

• Try some translation project management tools, such as Translation Office 3000, Protemos, LSP.expert

• Learn how to do OCR properly

• Learn touch typing to increase your daily output

• Try continuous speech recognition software, such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking (it can produce 160 words per minute)

• Check out translation agencies accepting applications - https://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications

• [Edited at 2021-07-08 12:17 GMT]
    Collapse

Nadine Michelle Ducca
    Matthias Brombach
    expressisverbis
    Florence Risser
    Arianne Farah
    Yuri Larin

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
    Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    English to German
    + ...
    It's your business Jul 8, 2021

As a beginner, you have lots of things to do, e.g. calculate your minimum rate, work on your homepage, think about the ideal customer for you and how to approach them, think about your profile, write and translate your invoice template, CV, LinkedIn profile, webinars, just to name a few.
    But now when the weather is fine, I would, as Robert writes, use your spare time and go outside because there are enough rainy days ahead when you can work. As an experienced translator, I call tell you t
    ... See more
    As a beginner, you have lots of things to do, e.g. calculate your minimum rate, work on your homepage, think about the ideal customer for you and how to approach them, think about your profile, write and translate your invoice template, CV, LinkedIn profile, webinars, just to name a few.
    But now when the weather is fine, I would, as Robert writes, use your spare time and go outside because there are enough rainy days ahead when you can work. As an experienced translator, I call tell you that I still have these days when there is no job offer and I ask myself: "Isn't my work needed any more?" That is quite normal, unfortunately.
    My advice is to save some money for "hard times" and to try to enjoy the freedom you have as a freelancer.
    All the best!
    Collapse

Nadine Michelle Ducca
    Matthias Brombach
    expressisverbis
    Florence Risser
    Rachel Waddington
    Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Local time: 18:48
    Member (2007)
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    Hi Nadine Jul 8, 2021

You cannot manage the ups and downs (also known as feast and famine cycles) as they are intrinsic to freelance work and the dream of having a constant flow of work is just that: a dream. You just learn how to live with it. A freelancer wears many hats but one of the most important is the money manager hat. You have to learn how to get paid and track and manage wisely your money along the way. Freelancing provides many perks (no boss, no commuting, no dreary 9 to 5 routine…), but if you are not... See more
    You cannot manage the ups and downs (also known as feast and famine cycles) as they are intrinsic to freelance work and the dream of having a constant flow of work is just that: a dream. You just learn how to live with it. A freelancer wears many hats but one of the most important is the money manager hat. You have to learn how to get paid and track and manage wisely your money along the way. Freelancing provides many perks (no boss, no commuting, no dreary 9 to 5 routine…), but if you are not good at collecting on invoices and tracking your money, you will have a difficult freelance career. Good luck!Collapse

Nadine Michelle Ducca
    Matthias Brombach
    expressisverbis
    Philip Lees
    Vanda Nissen

Nadine Michelle Ducca
    Spain
    Member (2021)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks for your comments! Jul 8, 2021

Thank you so much for your comments, guys!

This is all so new for me... I mean, I've been translating and teaching for a long time, but I've never freelanced. I guess I just have to get used to it and use my spare time to rest, study, and prepare myself. Vladimir's list is extremely helpful, so thanks!

I'll definitely follow all the advice you've given me. Luckily, I have a headstart in some things like the updated CV, website, LinkedIn, etc., and I hired "Infoautónomo
    ... See more
    Thank you so much for your comments, guys!

This is all so new for me... I mean, I've been translating and teaching for a long time, but I've never freelanced. I guess I just have to get used to it and use my spare time to rest, study, and prepare myself. Vladimir's list is extremely helpful, so thanks!

I'll definitely follow all the advice you've given me. Luckily, I have a headstart in some things like the updated CV, website, LinkedIn, etc., and I hired "Infoautónomos" (in Spain) to help with the administrative work. They've been great so far and answer all of my invoicing questions. Their system also keeps perfect track of the invoices, when they're due, and all that.

So, thank you for all your encouraging comments and advice. I'm just a really nervous person and, as Dr. Tilmann mentions, the moment I don't have anything to do, I ask myself if I'm still needed. But that's just silly, since I've only been at this for a month.

Again, thanks for the comments and I'll make a (long) list of all the things I should do!
    Collapse

Matthias Brombach
    Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2007)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Most important for your visibility ... Jul 8, 2021

... here on proz: Gain some KudoZ points, so that you will be found earlier in the ranking list of translators in your language combination. And have a regular look into the proz forums, listen to the background noise regarding translation tools, rates, advice on agencies, scammers, payment strategies, regulations, and many more things I just can't list here.
    Edited: You may have to upload your profile photo again, but in a minor resolution, so that it will be also visible in the smaller r
    ... See more
    ... here on proz: Gain some KudoZ points, so that you will be found earlier in the ranking list of translators in your language combination. And have a regular look into the proz forums, listen to the background noise regarding translation tools, rates, advice on agencies, scammers, payment strategies, regulations, and many more things I just can't list here.
    Edited: You may have to upload your profile photo again, but in a minor resolution, so that it will be also visible in the smaller representations of your profile, i.e. in the forums or in the proz app.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-07-08 14:14 GMT]
    Collapse

expressisverbis
    Philip Lees
    Nena Perovic
    Nadine Michelle Ducca

Nadine Michelle Ducca
    Spain
    Member (2021)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks! Jul 9, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:
    You may have to upload your profile photo again, but in a minor resolution, so that it will be also visible in the smaller representations of your profile, i.e. in the forums or in the proz app.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-07-08 14:14 GMT]

Thank you! I changed the profile pic and it should be visible in the forums now.

Matthias Brombach
    Josephine Cassar
    Rachel Waddington

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to manage downtime when getting started

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »