Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >
translation is dead as a profession
Thread poster: Daniel Rich
Daniel Rich
Daniel Rich
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
Jun 14, 2022

I'm amazed I haven't seen anyone raise their voice yet amongst the widespread roll-out of "machine translation post-editing". Not only insulting, it's being paid at rates a translator from the 90's or the 00's would've considered a nightmare. Well, the nightmare is real, and nobody's m/uttered the slightest protest.

Current rates plus MTPE represent the death of a profession.

writeaway
Marina Aleyeva
Marc Van Gastel
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Steven Ritchie
Anton Meier
SandraV

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not correct Jun 15, 2022

Daniel Rich wrote:

. and nobody's m/uttered the slightest protest.

People protest about it all the time, in these forums.

Anyway I don't think you're right. Certain kinds of translation can be done mainly by algorithms, but these then have to be checked, corrected, and if necessary rewritten to make sense. The algorithms can't do this, so it's done by translators who are desperate for any kind of work, at any price.

But there are other kinds of translation that algorithms just can't do, at least not yet, and probably never. So the translation industry isn't dying; it's changing.

[Edited at 2022-06-15 13:16 GMT]

Peter Shortall
Lieven Malaise
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Anton Konashenok
Liviu-Lee Roth
Christopher Schröder

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 15:20
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not dead. Jun 15, 2022

The profession is indeed not dead. It will only be dead the day computers can think and feel like human beings do. But then soon everybody will be dead, not only translators.

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Baran Keki
Iftihor Muhtorov
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, it's not, and it won't die Jun 15, 2022

Daniel Rich wrote:

Don't blame the machines, blame the humans.
As long as the translation market is flooded with people who claim to be professional translators and provide poor translation quality and work for very low rates, our profession will fall sick, but it won't die - fortunately, because we still have excellent professionals in our industry, and we will always have.
But it is up to the clients to be aware of this and to know who offers a high-quality translation service - with or without MTPE - and pay the rates that professional translators offer.
It's best to pay for quality, because poor translations cost money!
Apart from that, I agree and endorse everything my colleagues say above.

[Edited at 2022-06-15 13:53 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Baran Keki
Christel Zipfel
Michele Fauble
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Alexander Mikheyshin

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
CV Jun 15, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Daniel Rich wrote:

Don't blame the machines, blame the humans.
As long as the translation market is flooded with people who claim to be professional translators and provide poor translation quality and work for very low rates, our profession will fall sick, but it won't die - fortunately, because we still have excellent professionals in our industry, and we will always have.
But it is up to the clients to be aware of this and to know who offers a high-quality translation service - with or without MTPE - and pay the rates that professional translators offer.
It's best to pay for quality, because poor translations cost money!
Apart from that, I agree and endorse everything my colleagues say above.

[Edited at 2022-06-15 13:53 GMT]

It has always been the case. So it doesn t explain why there are so few jobs and Kudoz activity on PROZ. If there were too many unskilled translators, Kudoz activity would be booming, which is not the case.
You should check the OP s resume. He s a seasoned professional, not a newbie, so I guess he knows what he s talking about. He specializes in complex patent translations so he works for the premium market.

[Edited at 2022-06-15 17:43 GMT]

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Fabrice Ndie
Angelique Todesco
Lesley Gunn
dkfmmuc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Search the forums Jun 15, 2022

Daniel Rich wrote:
I'm amazed I haven't seen anyone raise their voice yet amongst the widespread roll-out of "machine translation post-editing".

People on this forum regularly bitch about it.

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Perhaps Kudoz just isn't interesting. Jun 15, 2022

David GAY wrote:

So it doesn t explain why there are so few jobs and Kudoz activity on PROZ.

I can't say much about the jobs offered here, except that in my opinion most decent translation agencies don't need Proz to find suppliers for a single translation request. But about Kudoz: who needs that when there is the internet? In 95% of the cases I find the terminological solution somewhere on the internet. And if it's so specific that I can't find anything, I ask the client for more information and propose a term myself.

Half of the Kudoz answers, even the 'approved' ones, are rubbish anyway.

expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Nadia Silva Castro
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good to know that I'm not alone Jun 15, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

In 95% of the cases I find the terminological solution somewhere on the internet. And if it's so specific that I can't find anything, I ask the client for more information and propose a term myself.

I have been adopting that strategy a couple of months after the pandemic outbreak, and when I post a question on Kudoz I can rely on very few colleagues only.

Lieven Malaise
Nadia Silva Castro
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
writeaway
Barbara Carrara
Yaotl Altan

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
I know Jun 15, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

David GAY wrote:

So it doesn t explain why there are so few jobs and Kudoz activity on PROZ.

I can't say much about the jobs offered here, except that in my opinion most decent translation agencies don't need Proz to find suppliers for a single translation request. But about Kudoz: who needs that when there is the internet? In 95% of the cases I find the terminological solution somewhere on the internet. And if it's so specific that I can't find anything, I ask the client for more information and propose a term myself.

But it has always been the case.
That s why lots of translators working for pennies used to ask a lot of Kudoz questions but these times are long gone.
MT has replaced them.
the number of jobs posted on PROZ has also plummeted so there must be an explanation...
Anyway I have noticed that a lot of translators with a diploma in translation have left the profession.
It shows that this industry is no longer attractive.

[Edited at 2022-06-15 20:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 20:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 21:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 21:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 21:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 21:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 21:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 22:11 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Steven Ritchie
Yaotl Altan

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I agree with Tom Jun 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Daniel Rich wrote:

Anyway I don't think you're right. Certain kinds of translation can be done mainly by algorithms, but these then have to be checked, corrected, and if necessary rewritten to make sense. The algorithms can't do this, so it's done by translators who are desperate for any kind of work, at any price.

But there are other kinds of translation that algorithms just can't do, at least not yet, and probably never. So the translation industry isn't dying; it's changing.

The industry is changing, but also shrinking, for the obvious reasons mentioned above.

Another phenomenon I noticed, is that during a crisis (we had some the last 10 - 15 years!) we are doing good (at least I did). I always had more than enough work (Crisis? What crisis?), but when it was all over and the newspapers were full with the benifits of the growing new economy after such a period, we are being hit. Less jobs. Wonder about the mechanism behind it (????). Am I the only one?

Steven Ritchie
Karine Yacoubian
Irene (Renata) Liapis
Tony Keily
Levan Namoradze
Diana Obermeyer

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
YINGSHUAI MA
YINGSHUAI MA
Australia
The profession is not dead Jun 15, 2022

The machine-assisted translation is indeed replacing and doing a lot, but not necessarily mean the translators will lose their jobs. I believe all translators must prepare themselves for better professionality in the future as they have to edit and supervise the machine's initial work, which may be precise but still lacks humanity and literacy.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Karine Yacoubian
abdisalan abikar
Wei Ming

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
I think Jun 15, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Daniel Rich wrote:

The industry is changing, but also shrinking, for the obvious reasons mentioned above.

Another phenomenon I noticed, is that during a crisis (we had some the last 10 - 15 years!) we are doing good (at least I did). I always had more than enough work (Crisis? What crisis?), but when it was all over and the newspapers were full with the benifits of the growing new economy after such a period, we are being hit. Less jobs. Wonder about the mechanism behind it (????). Am I the only one?

I think it s not too difficult to understand. 2018 is the year Deepl was released. Obviously, a lot of end clients use it and find it acceptable for their translation needs. They have their text translated in just nanoseconds and don t have to call a translation agency to have the job done. And, more importantly, they save a lot of money. It doesn t matter that much for them that the translation is not the best. All they want is to save time and money.The harsh truth is that the recurring question nowadays on PROZ forum is How do I install Deepl API in Trados

[Edited at 2022-06-15 22:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 22:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-15 22:59 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
patransword

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Clinically dead, yes! Jun 16, 2022

Translation -as a CONCEPT of a profession- is still around, but rendered completely lifeless.

I know of some physically-located companies changing activity altogether, not just because they can't find enough clients but also because they can no longer find enough translators willing to handle an absurdly bizarre project/tight deadline/extended payment term/peanut rate combination.

Can it be saved? Yes. How? By firmly undoing all that's currently happening in it.
<
... See more
Translation -as a CONCEPT of a profession- is still around, but rendered completely lifeless.

I know of some physically-located companies changing activity altogether, not just because they can't find enough clients but also because they can no longer find enough translators willing to handle an absurdly bizarre project/tight deadline/extended payment term/peanut rate combination.

Can it be saved? Yes. How? By firmly undoing all that's currently happening in it.

You will always notice some parties still insisting there is nothing wrong going on.

Don't be surprised by that. There is a full spectrum of other fields counting on generating money from the joiners of this one.

To name but a few, institutions that educate, entities that train, organizations that certify.

If joiners of Translation are convinced there is no point anymore, all that spectrum is then left without a dime.

Just a tinge:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TranslationStudies/comments/ttlsb9/impossible_to_find_work_in_translation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TranslationStudies/comments/vaol8j/pretty_much_out_of_ideas_for_how_to_get_into_the/
Collapse

Marc Van Gastel
writeaway
Steven Ritchie
Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Maria Thereza Moss
Yaotl Altan
Irene (Renata) Liapis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation is dead as a profession

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »