Pagine:   [1 2] >
Any quick and easy way to do a wordcount in PowerPoint?
Iniziatore argomento: Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 07:55
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Sep 21, 2006

I have a Powerpoint file to translate with lots of individual text boxes. To do a word count would require me to copy each individual text box into a word document which would take me absolutely ages. Is there any quicker way to do this? Or is there any software which can do this?

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 08:55
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Various options Sep 21, 2006

You could do it with AnyCount. You could save it as html (or possibly txt?). You could forward it to a g-mail account then click "View as HTML". I'm sure you'll get a few more ideas posted on here.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Svezia
Da Svedese a Inglese
+ ...
rtf Sep 21, 2006

I did this yesterday... save as an outline/rtf file (on my version this is the very last "save as" option). Then it's easy to do a word count from there...

Sonja Allen
Regno Unito
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
To safe it as outline/rtf doesn't give me the whole text Sep 21, 2006

Clare Barnes wrote:

I did this yesterday... save as an outline/rtf file (on my version this is the very last "save as" option). Then it's easy to do a word count from there...

When I do this, I only get the headings but not all the individual text boxes.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Ceco
+ ...
PractiCount Sep 21, 2006

This is the software I use myself.

In principle, you could write a macro to count it with, including the frames; but IMHO paying for the software is faster and more convenient. There is also Anycount, and perhaps some more programs of this kind out there?

HTH

Antonin

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Svezia
Da Svedese a Inglese
+ ...
Text boxes or pictures? Sep 21, 2006

I just tried this again with the powerpoint I'm working on, and it does save the text boxes, but not the non-editable pictures. Not much help for you though... I hope someone comes up with something that works...

Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Properties Sep 21, 2006

The aforementioned will also work, but the easiest way is to go into 'Properties,' then 'Summary' where you click on 'Advanced.' There you can see the word count. I was grateful for this feature a few weeks ago.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Membro (2004)
Da Inglese a Italiano
wow! Sep 21, 2006

Nikolaus Halter wrote:

The aforementioned will also work, but the easiest way is to go into 'Properties,' then 'Summary' where you click on 'Advanced.' There you can see the word count. I was grateful for this feature a few weeks ago.

surely nobody knew about this?

Giovanni

Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Actually, Sep 21, 2006

someone posted this here a few months ago. Can't take the credit for that one

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 00:55
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
In memoriam
Nick is right Sep 21, 2006

It works! Now I know...

Actually I found it in "statistics", not "summary".

[Editado a las 2006-09-21 18:16]

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Da Svedese a Inglese
+ ...
Drawing objects Sep 21, 2006

Although the Properties/Statistics is very useful, it can be a trap. I was recently offered a PowerPoint presentation that apparently contained 1,200 words. But when I started translating, it turned out to contain a lot of imported pictures, and PowerPoint insisted that these all had to be converted into drawing objects before they could be overwritten with their translations.

By the time I had converted them all, the word count via Properties/Statistics had crept up to a new total
... See more
Although the Properties/Statistics is very useful, it can be a trap. I was recently offered a PowerPoint presentation that apparently contained 1,200 words. But when I started translating, it turned out to contain a lot of imported pictures, and PowerPoint insisted that these all had to be converted into drawing objects before they could be overwritten with their translations.

By the time I had converted them all, the word count via Properties/Statistics had crept up to a new total of around 3,000 words, mostly contained in small text boxes that were inevitably the wrong size for the new translated words.

So not only were there far more words than expected, there was also far more work than expected tidying up the layout.

Moral of the story -- always check PowerPoint slides for nasty surprises before you quote for the job.
Collapse

Serdar Oncu
Serdar Oncu  Identity Verified
Turchia
Local time: 09:55
Da Inglese a Turco
+ ...
.ppt to .pdf / .pdf to .doc Sep 22, 2006

Hi,

I think the the best way to do wordcount for PowerPoint files is to:

1) convert them to pdf by using a ppt to pdf file conversion program (there are many such programs available on the internet to download).

2) convert pdf to doc by using ABBY, SolidConverter (best for this purpose) etc.

3) Count in MS Word.

By this way, no chance to lose a single word:) Also, if it is your direct client, he/she will be happy to get the transla
... See more
Hi,

I think the the best way to do wordcount for PowerPoint files is to:

1) convert them to pdf by using a ppt to pdf file conversion program (there are many such programs available on the internet to download).

2) convert pdf to doc by using ABBY, SolidConverter (best for this purpose) etc.

3) Count in MS Word.

By this way, no chance to lose a single word:) Also, if it is your direct client, he/she will be happy to get the translation in both .ppt and .pdf.

Serdar Oncu
Collapse

Sonja Allen
Regno Unito
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Difference in the different methods Sep 22, 2006

Thanks for all the useful tips. I have downloaded AnyCount which I found quite easy to use. However, Any Count gave me a word count of 517 for one of the files. In "Properties", however, the word count was listed as 465. Which one is now more accurate? By the way the presentation hasn't got any pictures, so it is just text only.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2003)
Da Olandese a Tedesco
Trial version anycount not all options Sep 22, 2006

Hi Sonja, do you have the trial version of Anycount?
Sonja Allen wrote:
However, Any Count gave me a word count of 517 for one of the files. In "Properties", however, the word count was listed as 465. .
Be aware that not all options are enabled. I was wasting a lot of time checking my count with that of a client of mine, before I discovered that not all options were enabled. Quickly I have bought the full version, and never regret it.;-)
Regards
Steffi

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Anyount vs PPT Statistics Sep 22, 2006

Which one is now more accurate?

As Peter Linton mentioned it earlier, PPT statistics are far from being accurate. AnyCount should give you more accurate results.

But, to be honest, probably none of the two give you an absolutely accurate result.

My experience with PPT statistics is that they are absolutely not to be trusted.

Sonja

Pagine:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any quick and easy way to do a wordcount in PowerPoint?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »