Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)
Thread poster: Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
Local time: 05:37
TOPIC STARTER
New improvements Jun 12, 2008

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. Now there is a new way to specify languages for each type of file (TM and glossary).

Today i will work on adding a description field for each file.

James: thank you very much for your post and congratulations for you own TM software! All that you said in the post is true. This system has the ability of adding the files that you specify, so when you travel you will have there the files as a backup. Security is always an issue
... See more
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. Now there is a new way to specify languages for each type of file (TM and glossary).

Today i will work on adding a description field for each file.

James: thank you very much for your post and congratulations for you own TM software! All that you said in the post is true. This system has the ability of adding the files that you specify, so when you travel you will have there the files as a backup. Security is always an issue that we are thinking in, and we work hard to keep your privacy and your data secure.

You can share this files too throw the "Send a file" link that is located on the profile. First you need to upload it and then it will be ready to be sent to any translator on the site.

Regards,

Ricardo
Collapse

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Feature improvement released (file description) Jun 12, 2008

Now you can add a description to both TMs and glossary files.

The way for adding it is similar as with the languages. Now there is another column on the "TMs & terms" tab named "Description", and there is a link named [edit].
Submitting the description texts will not reload the entire page, so you can quickly add lots of descriptions.

Please let me know if there are any doubts or suggestions for this new feature, i will be pleased to hear them...

Re
... See more
Now you can add a description to both TMs and glossary files.

The way for adding it is similar as with the languages. Now there is another column on the "TMs & terms" tab named "Description", and there is a link named [edit].
Submitting the description texts will not reload the entire page, so you can quickly add lots of descriptions.

Please let me know if there are any doubts or suggestions for this new feature, i will be pleased to hear them...

Regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:37
German to Spanish
Who need it? Jun 12, 2008

What is new? Web 2.0? Is it SSL coded at 128 bit?

I think everybody (professional) has already a space on the net where to put all the needed files.
For example, Mobileme, has 20 GB space always synchronized with your PCs, laptop, and mobile phone.

Who needs 60 MB? You can send files till 50 MB as attachment to your own account.
For example, Gmail has over 6 GB space and you can use it in team with "Google Docs"

In 2008 should man think
... See more
What is new? Web 2.0? Is it SSL coded at 128 bit?

I think everybody (professional) has already a space on the net where to put all the needed files.
For example, Mobileme, has 20 GB space always synchronized with your PCs, laptop, and mobile phone.

Who needs 60 MB? You can send files till 50 MB as attachment to your own account.
For example, Gmail has over 6 GB space and you can use it in team with "Google Docs"

In 2008 should man think about new things

A virtual server

Or work anywhere direct with your PC at home with PCAnywhere, a Citrix System or any remote Desktop application.

And for people who don't want to risk his work in "the air", with a 2,5" hard-disk you can have 300 GB on the pocket.
That's is the best way to assure that my TMs and glossaries, also, my treasure, my work, can not be copy.

Is a memory stick really so heavy?

Regards

Fernando

....Thinking about

What can I do with a TM in, for example, a internet cafe? Why to put TMs in proz.com? You can only use it with a CAT and if you can use your CAT that means that you already have your TMs in your laptop. I don't understand ????????????

With, for example, GotomypC, I can access from any computer to my own PC and work with Trados (sure, SSL).

[Edited at 2008-06-12 19:00]

[Edited at 2008-06-12 19:03]

[Edited at 2008-06-12 20:51]
Collapse

Julio Torres
Julio Torres
Mexico
Local time: 02:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wait a minute! Jun 12, 2008

Later, the ability to selectively grant access to the files to others will be added.

Let me think about it...

* I sign a confidentiality agreement with my client.
* I translate my client's documents (using a CAT tool, creating a TM).
* I upload this TM.
* Then, others (selected?) can access my (client) files!

Sorry, but I think this kind of databases are only for games or blogs, not for confidential files.

Julio
Professional translator

[Editado a las 2008-06-12 20:07]

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Ability to selectively grant access to the files Jun 12, 2008

Hello Julio!

The ability for sharing files is an optional feature. We know that TMs and Glossary files are very important, and we do not share any TMs or Glossary files with anybody. This files are only visible for the user who uploads them, so only the owner will be able to see them.

By the way, uploading this very important files on ProZ will allow you to avoid any problem with them, since you can have a backup always in ProZ.

Imagine this situation:
... See more
Hello Julio!

The ability for sharing files is an optional feature. We know that TMs and Glossary files are very important, and we do not share any TMs or Glossary files with anybody. This files are only visible for the user who uploads them, so only the owner will be able to see them.

By the way, uploading this very important files on ProZ will allow you to avoid any problem with them, since you can have a backup always in ProZ.

Imagine this situation:
all the TMs are in your computer and suddenly, one day your hard disk stop working.... you will lose all the files and work. Having them in ProZ Tms and Terms section, will ensure that if this happen you will not lose this files...

Thank you very much for your comment, i hope that this will help to clarify

Regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Backup in Proz.com? Jun 12, 2008

Ricardo Daniel wrote:

Imagine this situation:
all the TMs are in your computer and suddenly, one day your hard disk stop working.... you will lose all the files and work. Having them in ProZ Tms and Terms section, will ensure that if this happen you will not lose this files...

Regards,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

I really try to understand but it is not so easy

You say that with 60 MB I can back-up my 20 years work?

60 MB is nothing!!

I don't think is there anybody that has no protected his work at less 3 times!!

I use 1 TB for my back-up!! + online + 2 HD + synchronized laptop.

And I can imagine other situations ... no site can assure a 100% uncrackable database. And to concentrate TMs in a single site is a cake for bad kids.

Saludos

[Edited at 2008-06-12 19:30]

[Edited at 2008-06-12 19:36]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, but I do not agree at all! Jun 12, 2008

I have a very important question, by the way: How can I be completely sure that all the information (that only my client can decide whether I can upload it or not) will be safe and NOBODY will have access to it? Besides, if my computer breaks down, I have my backups, data travelers, etc., to store and carry all the information with me and use it wherever I go. There's nothing safer than that.
Best,
Fernando

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:37
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Fernandos! Jun 12, 2008

Fernando Walker wrote:
I have a very important question, by the way: How can I be completely sure that all the information (that only my client can decide whether I can upload it or not) will be safe and NOBODY will have access to it? Besides, if my computer breaks down, I have my backups, data travelers, etc., to store and carry all the information with me and use it wherever I go. There's nothing safer than that.
Best,
Fernando

Fernando Toledo wrote:
...And I can imagine other situations ... no site can assure a 100% uncrackable database.

Right, Fernandos! From a security standpoint it is correct to point out that taking backups locally is safer. We'll do our best to make sure the work is secure, but on the Internet, ultimately, there are no guarantees.

This new feature is really for people who find it useful, for whatever reason. A few people suggested it, a few people are using it, that is all. We'll expand upon the functionality as requested by members.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not as a backup Jun 12, 2008

Hi All!

I don´t find this feature usefull as a back-up facility, CDs and removable hard drives are safer.
On the other hand, it can be useful for sharing a big TM among colleagues working on the same project, or delivering files to clients who, for any reason, don´t want to grant us access to their ftp client (it has happened to me, once).
So you upload the file, grant them access, and delete it once you are completely sure that they have downloaded it.

... See more
Hi All!

I don´t find this feature usefull as a back-up facility, CDs and removable hard drives are safer.
On the other hand, it can be useful for sharing a big TM among colleagues working on the same project, or delivering files to clients who, for any reason, don´t want to grant us access to their ftp client (it has happened to me, once).
So you upload the file, grant them access, and delete it once you are completely sure that they have downloaded it.

My 2 cents
Marina
Collapse

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Confidentiality Jun 12, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi All!

My 2 cents
Marina

Hi, Marina,
I think this is not only a question of capacity, but also of confidentiality. Clients could have the right to sue you if their information is shared, uploaded or exchanged without their consent. Again, nobody can garantee that this information isn't going to fall into the wrong hands. Besides, if clients don't want you to access their FTP site, you can have yours and upload your project there. I know that FTPs aren't so secure, so, in that case, you could use the Secure File Transfer Protocol or SFTP.

Best,
Fernando

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
EXCELLENT point Jun 12, 2008

Fernando Toledo wrote:

What can I do with a TM in, for example, a internet cafe? Why to put TMs in proz.com? You can only use it [you TM] with a CAT and if you can use your CAT that means that you already have your TMs in your laptop. I don't understand ????????????

I am also worried about both the confidentiality and safety issues involved. Uploading a TM is basically the same as uploading the files you've translated.

And, as Fernando cleverly pointed out: what's the use of having the TM if you don't have the CAT software???? And if you DO have the CAT software, wouldn't that mean that you have your laptop with you and thus, the TMs you need (or, at the very least, your own pendrive with the material)??

I'll also say that, in all honesty, I am also deeply worried that this "optional" feature will end up being "optional" in the same way that the infamous WWA is. Meaning, you can choose NOT to use it, but you can be filtered out if you make that choice. Not really optional, now, is it??

Greetings,
Andrea

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may be right Jun 12, 2008

Hi Fernando,

Fernando Walker wrote:

Hi, Marina,
I think this is not only a question of capacity, but also of confidentiality. Clients could have the right to sue you if their information is shared, uploaded or exchanged without their consent.

I´m not talking about sharing clients information without their consent. I´m talking of sharing a 60MB TM with colleagues working on the same translation.

Again, nobody can garantee that this information isn't going to fall into the wrong hands. Besides, if clients don't want you to access their FTP site, you can have yours and upload your project there. I know that FTPs aren't so secure, so, in that case, you could use the Secure File Transfer Protocol or SFTP.

Best,
Fernando

I know I can have a FTP site, but the fact is that I don´t. This client doesn´t mind my sending big files through public sites like YouSendIt or SendThis File, so I don´t think they`ll mind if I use Proz.com to send them.

But you have a point, I´ll think about it.

Regards,
Marina

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Glossaries are a good variant.. Jun 14, 2008

Hi! but there are already somany online glossaries, why again a new variant, even if it sounds good. TMs are really knowledge specific, they are better off on the local comp. Brandis

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
If it is just a member request... Jun 14, 2008

Henry D wrote:

This new feature is really for people who find it useful, for whatever reason. A few people suggested it, a few people are using it, that is all. We'll expand upon the functionality as requested by members.

... Here is a new request from some members, we wish that this possibility disappear, may you consider that to create so a specific data base is a big risk for translator and can only be useful for corporations like Babelfish or other MT engines?

I ask me who has request to put confidential files in a private site.

I think someone has forgotten that in a TM is confidential data from client. The client is the owner of the TM.

Regards

FCT

[Edited at 2008-06-14 20:25]

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Encryptation by the user Jun 14, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Fernando Walker wrote:
Best,
Fernando

Fernando Toledo wrote:
...And I can imagine other situations ... no site can assure a 100% uncrackable database.

Right, Fernandos! From a security standpoint it is correct to point out that taking backups locally is safer. We'll do our best to make sure the work is secure, but on the Internet, ultimately, there are no guarantees.

It will always be unsafe. IMHO, the only safe way is that we upload encrypted files. Otherwise, it would be unethical to expose our clients' data. Never forget that site staff would be able to read the TMs, and unless explicitly stated, nobody but the translator should be able ro read them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »