Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)
Thread poster: Ricardo Vella
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
the confidentiality issue Jun 22, 2008

I just read all the comments about the confidentiality issue. While I agree with the issue of confidentiality of clients' files (that in itself being enough reason to encrypt), I think it is wrong to suggest, as some people have here, that it is like "giving Proz the keys to our house" and that somehow Proz staff might be able to benefit commercially from our TMs and glossaries.

Two reasons:
1) As far as I can tell, Proz's business model is based on the subscription fees we
... See more
I just read all the comments about the confidentiality issue. While I agree with the issue of confidentiality of clients' files (that in itself being enough reason to encrypt), I think it is wrong to suggest, as some people have here, that it is like "giving Proz the keys to our house" and that somehow Proz staff might be able to benefit commercially from our TMs and glossaries.

Two reasons:
1) As far as I can tell, Proz's business model is based on the subscription fees we pay and advertising. Therefore, creating some über-glossary/TM and using it for some giant translation factory would be a whole new and different business that would almost certainly cause Proz's current business model to fail. I think it is clear from all the investment, effort and professionalism they put into improving the Proz site and services, that they really care about their business and, therefore, they care about us translators.

2) Second, would YOU as professional translators take the work of someone else and present it to a client without being 99%+ certain that it was accurate? I wouldn't. But that would seem to be the implication behind the concern that they might use our TMs and glossaries. They would only need to present a few duff sentences, mis-translations or incorrect words - and I imagine there are quite a lot of them in our TMs and glossaries! - and they would lose their customers.

Let's be glad that Proz are doing a good job on our behalf and offering us tools to help us be more professional and more productive.
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why? Jun 23, 2008

Comunican wrote:

The "reasons" you give have absolutely nothing to do with the analogy I borrowed. What I said is, by uploading the files we are giving proz.com staff full access to them. Period. (or: by giving a stranger the keys to my house, I'm giving them free acces to my house. Period)

Whether they -or someone else, as I clearly stated some posts back when I specifically said that proz.com staff is not my only (nor even the main) concern- take advantage of that or not, I repeat once again, is absolutely irrelevant. (or: whether the stranger chooses to enter my house is irrelevant. What matters is that they COULD do it if they wished to because I gave them access).

The confidentiality breach lies in giving access to third parties, regardless of whether they take advantage of it.

Comunican wrote:

Let's be glad that Proz are doing a good job on our behalf and offering us tools to help us be more professional and more productive.

I would also be glad if I agreed with you that THAT is what this new concoction achieves. Obviously, though, I don't.

Greetings.

[Edited at 2008-06-23 15:25]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Message for Andrea Riffo Jul 2, 2008

The "reasons" you give have absolutely nothing to do with the analogy I borrowed. What I said is, by uploading the files we are giving proz.com staff full access to them. Period. (or: by giving a stranger the keys to my house, I'm giving them free acces to my house. Period)

Hi Andrea
By using your analogy, I wasn't singling you out; I felt it summarised the issue rather succinctly.
Regards

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 04:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There is no upload button... Jul 23, 2008

There is no upload button there.There is nothing to click to.I click onto the file I want to upload to the site(from the particular folder of my own computer),and then what?What should happen then?In my case,nothing happens.The file will not be uploaded.
Is it perhaps because I am not VID-ed?Or because I am not a paying member of any level of this site?

ricardov wrote:

A new feature has been released to assist in the handling of translation memories, glossaries and other files. This feature provides a way to quickly and securely upload and save a number of files for your own personal use (others will not have access to these files).

Later, the ability to selectively grant access to the files to others will be added.

To upload your "TMs and terms", visit the files management page, or use the "My Files" link in the "My ProZ" menu. The size limit for TMs and terms files is 10Mb (20Mb for Corporate Members).

Please let me know in this forum thread if you have any questions, concerns, or feature requests.

Best Regards,

Ricardo D. Vella
ProZ.com Staff Developer

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
How to encrypt Aug 3, 2008

I've edited this posting of mine down to nearly zero and posted it instead as a new topic in the General Technical Issues forum.
Oliver

[Edited at 2008-08-03 19:34]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »