Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
English to German
Nov 11, 2004

Hi,

some of my clients have begun to use Skype to eliminate high phone costs and I would like to join them. I have a free USB slot, but am not sure what phone/headset to buy. So far, I have only found normal phones with USB-capability (rather expensive), and I still have to buy a USB-adapter to make it work (another 100 or more euros).

Any suggestions where to find a less expensive (and easier) solution?

Many thanks,
Marion

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
check platronics digital headsets Nov 11, 2004

Hi! check ww.plantronics.com their digital headsets are most compatible and the reception is very clear and they are not very expensive. Source purchase shops are www.conrad.de

Rgds
Brandis

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I think any headset does it Nov 11, 2004

I have used some old headset I had for about 3 years and I think I bought it for what would be a few Euros (probably less than 10) and it worked very well for me. As far as I can tell, you don't need anything sooo special.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I agree but.. Nov 11, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

I have used some old headset I had for about 3 years and I think I bought it for what would be a few Euros (probably less than 10) and it worked very well for me. As far as I can tell, you don't need anything sooo special.

...the audio quality is for this matter not so important, but it must be comfortable to use. My Sennheiser (Headset with only one speaker) is good but after 20 minutes it is disturbing. My headset goes direct to the audio (IN, OUT)

Rgds

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I'm confused: USB-slot or audio-slot? Nov 11, 2004

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm a little confused right now: I thought the phone/headset MUST go into a USB slot in order to make voice over ip via Skype work?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
conneting to an audio card is better Nov 11, 2004

Because signal processing and conversion takes place. I have taken the audio jack connection not USB. For a few examples you can check www.plantronics.com
Rgds,
Brandis

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You don't need to use USB headphones Nov 11, 2004

A lot of companies are trying to sell their products with USB connections. Apparently a lot of people find it easier to find their USB ports rather than their MIC/speaker connectors.

However, you don't have to use a USB headphone. In fact, they are usually more expensive than normal headphones with MIC. I am currently using the one that was provided with Dragon Naturally Speaking. IMHO, this headphone is a very cheap product, but it's fine for me. You might want to take a look at
... See more
A lot of companies are trying to sell their products with USB connections. Apparently a lot of people find it easier to find their USB ports rather than their MIC/speaker connectors.

However, you don't have to use a USB headphone. In fact, they are usually more expensive than normal headphones with MIC. I am currently using the one that was provided with Dragon Naturally Speaking. IMHO, this headphone is a very cheap product, but it's fine for me. You might want to take a look at your local computer store to find out about the different headphones available. Sometimes supermarkets have a separate computer corner, and the products they are offering are usually cheaper, but still good enough.

Good luck!

Sonja
Collapse

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
Ordinary "low cost" headset Nov 11, 2004

Hi,

I'm using that kind of headset you clamp to one ear with a micro on. I think I bought it by Real or Allkauf and I paid 9,00 Euro.

It works very well and goes into the audio slots. No need for (often more expensive) USB

Linda

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks! Nov 11, 2004

thanks for all your comments, they were real helpful. I think I'll just drop into a big store and buy a standard headphone...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
don´t forget the one with mouth piece Nov 11, 2004

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

thanks for all your comments, they were real helpful. I think I'll just drop into a big store and buy a standard headphone...
there are otherwise designs also for €5,- but don´t do anything, I had tried 4-6 of them and gave them all to a freind for €3,- till I had finally purchased the plantronics with everything integrated for gaming, thefirst one for €39,- and the second one for €29,- and have ultimately desided to stay at plantronics. Where as Logitech and Sennheiser are also coming up with their designs, but comparatively very expensive.
Cheers,
Brandis

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, standard headphone with microphone Nov 11, 2004

I also use a standard headphone but it has a microphone attached to it. I have tried various microphones, but a mike attached to a headset is the easiest and most reliable, I found, particularly if you need to find it in a hurry when someone calls and other mikes get buried underneath piles of papers! (If you have an LCD screen with built-in microphone, that will work, too.)

I simply plug the pink microphone plug into the microphone socket. The sound of my correspondent comes out
... See more
I also use a standard headphone but it has a microphone attached to it. I have tried various microphones, but a mike attached to a headset is the easiest and most reliable, I found, particularly if you need to find it in a hurry when someone calls and other mikes get buried underneath piles of papers! (If you have an LCD screen with built-in microphone, that will work, too.)

I simply plug the pink microphone plug into the microphone socket. The sound of my correspondent comes out of the speakers. The quality of Skype's latest version is amazing. I regularly speak to my family overseas thanks to Skype and I bought some credit to call landlines overseas, as well. I'm amazed it isn't more widely known, because it's a fantastic service available via a free download.
Make sure you adjust the settings in your profile so that only people in your contact list can see you, though, because I started to receive calls from various people around the world at the most impossible times until I adjusted my settings.
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
just bought a Plantronics... Nov 11, 2004

Thank you, Brandis! I just went to ebay and bought the Plantronics Audio 50 for 20 Euros incl. shipping. I do hope this will do it!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
believe me it is a grand decision Nov 11, 2004

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Thank you, Brandis! I just went to ebay and bought the Plantronics Audio 50 for 20 Euros incl. shipping. I do hope this will do it!
Using this you can really realize various audio-visual file localization, and works seamlessly with audio cleaning utilities (if you have). I hope you have an audio card, otherwise you may have to get one at the wreckers today around €12,or so. A standard terratec stereo board will do. Then you are equipped. Give me a call when you have installed ,there are many things one could do with this.
Cheers,
Brandis

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
it should all be there Nov 11, 2004

...on my system. Since I have built-in speakers on my newly acquired neovo flatscreen monitor (the best thing I ever had) and can hear sound, I should have an audio-card

I will let you know how it works, Brandis!

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Skype Nov 11, 2004

Dear Marion,

I use the crappiest and cheapest microphone and headset there is, plugged straigth into the sound card, and it works just fine!

So don't go spending a fortune...

Cheers,

Huub Stegeman

[Edited at 2004-11-11 12:24]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »