MULTITRANS: corpus-based CAT Tool (2)
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 16:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2001

I spoke about this software a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I had a complete demostration of the software for my students and was completely fascinated by the product. (They are not paying me to write this message , but it is a made in Canada product and I am very proud of it!)

We assumed that the students were starting from scratch, without any translation memory of their own. I had prepared a short legal translation (EN>IT). We wen
... See more
I spoke about this software a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I had a complete demostration of the software for my students and was completely fascinated by the product. (They are not paying me to write this message , but it is a made in Canada product and I am very proud of it!)

We assumed that the students were starting from scratch, without any translation memory of their own. I had prepared a short legal translation (EN>IT). We went on Eur-lex, cut and pasted a couple of laws (English and Italian), Nathalie and Daniel of Multicorpora created a corpus on the spot (a matter of a couple of minutes, no allignment required) that we used for the translation. Instead of just two laws, I could have used 10 or 20, for that matter.

The other important element I understood yesterday, was that Multitrans is not sentence-based but expression-based and therefore a higher percentage of translation memory is usable also for non repetitive texts.

I am downloading the free demonstration version right now, from www.multicorpora.ca

For your information.

paola l m

en>it
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
interesting, eh Oct 27, 2001

Frankly I did not know that Multitrans is Canada-based. Interesting. Does it support Cyrillic?

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
on Multitrans again Oct 27, 2001

Paola, as long as you are testing it:

I\'vw browsed through thier website trying to find anything about cyrillic support I am obsessed about - and could not fish out anything. If you\'d have a chance will you please advise me on that (probably it\'s sitting in the prog\'s Tools/Options whatever.

Thanks

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 16:26
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
look under "preferences" Oct 28, 2001

Ciao Vladimir!

I downloaded the trial version yesterday and played with it for a very short time (lots of work and class preparation). Italian, for example, was not in their default languages, but I added it through the \"tools\" and preferences button. I think that they do support other alphabet systems, but the best thing is to send an email to Nathalie Charette or Daniel Gervais, or to the support email listed on the Multicorpora site. I can always drop by and ask them, they are
... See more
Ciao Vladimir!

I downloaded the trial version yesterday and played with it for a very short time (lots of work and class preparation). Italian, for example, was not in their default languages, but I added it through the \"tools\" and preferences button. I think that they do support other alphabet systems, but the best thing is to send an email to Nathalie Charette or Daniel Gervais, or to the support email listed on the Multicorpora site. I can always drop by and ask them, they are one mile away from my home.

Let me know.

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-28 06:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-28 06:18 ]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
will try to get them Oct 28, 2001

Yes, thank you, Paols, I will try to ask those guys. You see, with Cyrillic it\'s nearly always tricky (in terms of using CATs). Actually I am not aware about any positive experience on using CAT with Cyrillic-based langs.

Thanks again.

protolmach
protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Multitrans and other CAT tools for Cyrillic fonts Nov 9, 2001

Hi,

I had a chance to check out a few of CAT tools at the ATA Conference this month.

Almost all of the big players were present trying to push their product. The only ones that currently support cyrillic fonts are SDLX and Trados. DeJavu started doing it and Multitrans people are working on introducing an upgrade that will support cyrillic.

SDLX looked the most user friendly. Saying that I understand that very much depends on THE USER. I am a novice and SDLX seemed
... See more
Hi,

I had a chance to check out a few of CAT tools at the ATA Conference this month.

Almost all of the big players were present trying to push their product. The only ones that currently support cyrillic fonts are SDLX and Trados. DeJavu started doing it and Multitrans people are working on introducing an upgrade that will support cyrillic.

SDLX looked the most user friendly. Saying that I understand that very much depends on THE USER. I am a novice and SDLX seemed to be very clear cut and easy to work with.

I have to read through all the brochures a slepped from the conference and will be happy to stay in touch with more technically experienced fellow translators to make the right choice with the CAT tool.

Regards,

Patricia Elana Pick
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MULTITRANS: corpus-based CAT Tool (2)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »