Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
中国
Local time: 03:15
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
What we are doing is just for happiness! Oct 1, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

Thanks so much. I'm really here just to chat. Like I said once before, it's an outlet for me. I'd rather speak to you guys than some strangers on Facebook.

You and James are doing a great job. I think everyone here appreciates it.

For happy discussions, happy exchanges of views, happy sharing, happy .......

Li Jie
Li Jie  Identity Verified
中国
英語 から 中国語
Rimbaud 的原文 Oct 1, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

原文链接:http://site.douban.com/douban-read/widget/notes/14184535/note/296791850/

来吧,得到幸福

“幸福是一种灾难”,诗人兰特这样写道。

Li Jie,

谢谢你为大家分享你的译文。我粗略读了一下,感觉大体上来说,翻译得很不错。不过,有的地方还有待进一步推敲,特提出来,供你参考。

“幸福是一种灾难”,从我们的直觉和常识来说,觉得颇为费解。

这句话的 context 是“Happiness was my fatality, my remorse, my worm: my life would forever be too immense to be devoted to strength and beauty.”
http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/French/Rimbaud3.htm

J.H. Wang wrote:
I would guess that happiness has ruined many a life since it was invented, which may not have been so long ago. 中 since it was invented,意思应该是:自从产生幸福这个观念以来。

这句是我看走眼了,谢谢你指出。

J.H. Wang wrote:
‘I want,’ spoken with or without an object for the verb.” object 的意思是语法中的”宾语“。

我明白,翻译的时候就知道,是专门这样翻译的。

J.H. Wang wrote:
还有,你对 Only then is the survival brain turned down and the personality fever cooled. 的翻译,在我看来,过于偏离原意。

理解不同,我现在不指望求同存异了,直接认错。

Jinhang Wang
中国
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
探讨交流而已 Oct 1, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:
还有,你对 Only then is the survival brain turned down and the personality fever cooled. 的翻译,在我看来,过于偏离原意。

理解不同,我现在不指望求同存异了,直接认错。

我也是喜欢争辩的人。目标是为了求真,求得正解。有不同意见是正常的,无须认错。:-)

Li Jie
中国
英語 から 中国語
我恰恰是不喜欢争辩的人, Oct 1, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

理解不同,我现在不指望求同存异了,直接认错。

我也是喜欢争辩的人。目标是为了求真,求得正解。有不同意见是正常的,无须认错。:-)

探讨只是为了交换不同的看法,而且有不同的解读才是我觉得语言最有意思的地方。另外,我倒觉得有时语言上的问题,可能没有什么归一的“真”和“正解”。否则世界上也不会有那么多的书,让各类学者没完没了的研究、争论。

Jinhang Wang
中国
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
有道理的 Oct 1, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

另外,我倒觉得有时语言上的问题,可能没有什么归一的“真”和“正解”。

主要是语言也在流变之中,词语的意思也不是一成不变的。这个只要把一两百年前中国的书和今天的书对比一下就可以明白了。但是,在具体某个时代,语言的运用也有一定的常规。

Li Jie
中国
英語 から 中国語
我指的不是词语, Oct 1, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

主要是语言也在流变之中,词语的意思也不是一成不变的。这个只要把一两百年前中国的书和今天的书对比一下就可以明白了。但是,在具体某个时代,语言的运用也有一定的常规。

是意义的解读。

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 15:15
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
有所求与无所求 Oct 1, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

Thanks so much. I'm really here just to chat. Like I said once before, it's an outlet for me. I'd rather speak to you guys than some strangers on Facebook.

You and James are doing a great job. I think everyone here appreciates it.

For happy discussions, happy exchanges of views, happy sharing, happy .......

不知道这样说是否容易理解些:这篇文章中的“happy” 更多的是“无所求”,就像“漫卷诗书喜欲狂”里的“喜”,就像我们在这里的讨论。而中文的“幸福”本身就是有所求,是所求得到满足之后的心理。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 14:15
中国語 から 英語
+ ...
Happiness Oct 1, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

不知道这样说是否容易理解些:这篇文章中的“happy” 更多的是“无所求”,就像“漫卷诗书喜欲狂”里的“喜”,就像我们在这里的讨论。而中文的“幸福”本身就是有所求,是所求得到满足之后的心理。

Ying,

I agree with you. 喜悦 is what the author refers to. But the "happiness" in the Declaration of Independence is usually translated to 幸福. To be consistent, I would just go along with it.

BTW, my sister brought back an airline napkin for me once. It had coke's advertising on it. The English is "Open happiness". And the Chinese translation was "something, something 幸福"。 She thought it was so off-the-wall that she brought the napkin back to show me.

I think J.H. is right. Language evolves, and some terms get new meaning.

Jinhang Wang
中国
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
一般而言,我觉得,意义的解读还是有正误之分的 Oct 1, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

是意义的解读。

否则的话,人与人之间的交流就不可能了。

但是,的确有时候也会碰到费解的地方。

Li Jie
中国
英語 から 中国語
我本不想和任何人争, Oct 1, 2013

只是有些帖子的语言刺激了我脆弱的神经,让我感到很受伤、很难堪,所以在当时的环境下有所回应。我并不想在别人开心的日子给人添堵。也请有些发帖人想想别人的感受。不再回应任何让我不开心的帖。

wherestip
米国
中国語 から 英語
+ ...
Ambiguity Oct 1, 2013

I agree, J.H.. It happens, but ambiguity is rare.

It's a convenient excuse to use though.

wherestip
米国
中国語 から 英語
+ ...
It's okay Oct 1, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

只是有些帖子的语言刺激了我脆弱的神经,让我感到很受伤、很难堪,所以在当时的环境下有所回应。我并不想在别人开心的日子给人添堵。也请有些发帖人想想别人的感受。不再回应任何让我不开心的帖。

Li Jie,

Don't worry about it. We all have those moments.

"Don't worry. Be happy. " ...

[Edited at 2013-10-01 13:20 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 15:15
英語 から 中国語
+ ...
Thank you for the reference Oct 1, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

Ying,

I agree with you. 喜悦 is what the author refers to. But the "happiness" in the Declaration of Independence is usually translated to 幸福. To be consistent, I would just go along with it.

BTW, my sister brought back an airline napkin for me once. It had coke's advertising on it. The English is "Open happiness". And the Chinese translation was "something, something 幸福"。 She thought it was so off-the-wall that she brought the napkin back to show me.

Thank you, Steve, for the reference. I think the translation of the Declaration of Independence is appropriate, because 幸福 is what people are pursuing.

While in the article we discussed, the author himself had changed his opinion of happiness. And he referred to Buddha's teaching of true happiness. This reminded me of 《吉祥经》,where happiness is also translated as 幸福. You and J. H. are right, the language has indeed evolved to incorporate wider meaning.

wherestip
米国
中国語 から 英語
+ ...
consistency Oct 1, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

Ying,

Thank you, Steve, for the reference. I think the translation of the Declaration of Independence is appropriate, because 幸福 is what people are pursuing.

While in the article we discussed, the author himself had changed his opinion of happiness. And he referred to Buddha's teaching of true happiness. This reminded me of 《吉祥经》,where happiness is also translated as 幸福. You and J. H. are right, the language has indeed evolved to incorporate wider meaning.

Just to be clear, if it were up to me, I would have translated happiness into 喜悦、高兴、兴奋、幸福 etc., etc., whichever was appropriate for the sentence. These Chinese terms basically all have the same meaning. IMO, it's very different than lumping 生存 and 患得患失 together.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Rita Pang[Call to this topic]
David Lin[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »