Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
English to German
looks good May 21, 2009

Thanks, Colin!

Now, we just need the + and - symbols to be turned into links

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the changes May 21, 2009

They make it much more usable, IMO
Thanks

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 02:01
English to German
+ ...
Homepages (start pages) in Firefox May 21, 2009

Rebekka Gross wrote:

In Firefox, it is not posible to specify multiple homepages.

You can specify as many tabs (start pages / homepages) as you like in Firefox. I have 8, which open automatically every time I open the browser.

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
not quite homepages May 21, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Rebekka Gross wrote:

You can specify as many tabs (start pages / homepages) as you like in Firefox. I have 8, which open automatically every time I open the browser.

But those are not homepages as the tabs that open depend on the tabs that were open when exiting Firefox. You have to have those exact 8 tabs when exiting Firefox for them to reload. In Internet Explorer, however, you can speicify a number of pages via Internet Options, which will always open on startup. Incidentally, I use Firefox as well.

[Edited at 2009-05-21 14:55 GMT]

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not true ... May 21, 2009

Rebekka Gross wrote:

LittleBalu wrote:

Rebekka Gross wrote:

But those are not homepages as the tabs that open depend on the tabs that were open when exiting Firefox. You have to have those exact 8 tabs when exiting Firefox for them to reload. In Internet Explorer, however, you can speicify a number of pages via Internet Options, which will always open on startup. Incidentally, I use Firefox as well.

[Edited at 2009-05-21 14:55 GMT]

No, it doesn't matter at all which tabs are open (or not) when closing Firefox. I often close start tabs I don't need or open additional tabs during the day, and I never bother to close them before closing Firefox. Still, all of (!) and only (!) my "homepages" open when reopening Firefox the next morning. I use the German version of Firefox, so I can only give you the settings you need to make in German (if you are interested).

[Edited at 2009-05-21 15:03 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
sorry to keep on with this off-topic discussion May 21, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Rebekka Gross wrote:

LittleBalu wrote:

Rebekka Gross wrote:

No, it doesn't matter at all which tabs are open (or not) when closing Firefox. I often close start tabs I don't need or open additional tabs during the day, and I never bother to close them before closing Firefox. Still, all of (!) and only (!) my "homepages" open when reopening Firefox the next morning. I use the German version of Firefox, so I can only give you the settings you need to make in German (if you are interested).

[Edited at 2009-05-21 15:03 GMT]

Oops, too fast.

Now, I'm intrigued LittleBalu.

I would be very interested which option you select for this. In Tools > Option > Main, I have 3 choices in the When Firefox starts drop-down
Show my home page
Show a blank page
Show my windows and tabs from last time

BTW, I use FF 3.0.10

[Edited at 2009-05-21 15:08 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
Firefox: just found the solution to have several home pages May 21, 2009

Wow!

This must be a relatively new feature!

Just separate the desired URLs with the pipe character (|) - and hey, presto, you can specify several home pages in the Homepage text box.

Great because ever since FF3, there have been problems with the Show my windows and tabs from last time option which did no longer work when exiting the browser.

And now, I'm done hijacking this thread. Sorry everyone!

Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
No results, no joy... May 22, 2009

... from the new term search page.
What a great pity as the last engine was so effective.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:01
French to English
+ ...
Can you be more specific? May 22, 2009

Hi Bianca AH,

Can you please describe what searches you are performing and why you believe them to be less effective than the term search before the updates. This will greatly help me locate any issues with the search function.

Best,
Colin

Emanuela Galdelli
Emanuela Galdelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It's great! May 23, 2009

Thanks Colin, I tried the new term search function, it works very well, especially the "Match entire phrase" and "Match whole words only".

Emanuela

Gabriel Csaba
Gabriel Csaba  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Zero results May 25, 2009

Valeria Lagos - Gordon Downie wrote:
I still don't get results (NONE!!) in searches where AT LEAST some should be (look up "whether or not": results are 0!!).
this isn't working the way it was. Sorry but the improvements are still to be seen...

Same thing happens with "associated" when choosing "any language pair".

I fail to understand why these so-called improvements were introduced prior to beta testing.

The term search feature is the main (read: only) reason why I keep paying a Proz membership. Keep messing it up, though, and you're losing yet another paying member.

Read: customer.

Edit: a Goggle search of the site comes up with a whopping 8,720 results, with "associated" showing in the header (that is, not in the explanations below but as a direct search result) on the first 150 or so.

150 as compared to zero is quite a gap to fix, any way you look at it.

[Edited at 2009-05-25 22:13 GMT]

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
KUDOZ, Colin! May 26, 2009

I have been using the new system all these days and find it GREAT.
Simple, clear, large letters, no useless options.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
could we have a "no results found for your search" note, please May 28, 2009

Where a search yields no results, it would be helpful to have a note displayed to that effect, please.

If the website, or the web in general, is slow I often flick to something else while Kudoz searches and when I come back I am unsure whether the search has completed (and yielded no results) or I had not clicked the "Search" button properly.

Every nano-second counts in this business! LOL

Thanks

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Simple comments Jun 4, 2009

I have been using the Kudoz search facility for a few years now and I've grown accustomed to it and find it very useful.

However, I would just like to add that the need to put a string of words within quotes
"abc xyz " is not a friendly feature, sorry. In fact, it inhibits me from using the feature - which is not what you want, is it?

Just look at any major search engine and you will see that word 'strings' are not required.

Simply speaking - it's a
... See more
I have been using the Kudoz search facility for a few years now and I've grown accustomed to it and find it very useful.

However, I would just like to add that the need to put a string of words within quotes
"abc xyz " is not a friendly feature, sorry. In fact, it inhibits me from using the feature - which is not what you want, is it?

Just look at any major search engine and you will see that word 'strings' are not required.

Simply speaking - it's a pain!
Collapse

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 04:01
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Still unreliable Jun 7, 2009

Hello Colin,
I'm afraid I'm still using variations on this Google "site:proz.com kudoz" if I really need to find something in the glossary, which is almost always when I want to find something. I remember having seen there. Speaking as a programmer (I have trados, but prefer my own custom-hacked VBA front end software with a mysql back end) can't you just write a front end to Google for site searches, and let the Google search engine do the real processing. Neither Yahoo nor Microsoft c
... See more
Hello Colin,
I'm afraid I'm still using variations on this Google "site:proz.com kudoz" if I really need to find something in the glossary, which is almost always when I want to find something. I remember having seen there. Speaking as a programmer (I have trados, but prefer my own custom-hacked VBA front end software with a mysql back end) can't you just write a front end to Google for site searches, and let the Google search engine do the real processing. Neither Yahoo nor Microsoft can't compete with it, what chance do you have?
Jim
P.s. I find the search in both pairs of the old version more reliable than the new equivalent. I want to search all posts and discussion entries in both pairs. The new one doesn't seem to be doing this.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »