Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 13:40
Member (2003)
French to English
I would like to be able to search by subject matter Apr 26, 2009

..like I used to be able to do with the old format. For some terms, I like to be able to narrow down the results to just medical, legal, or whatever. Am I missing something, or is that just no longer a feature? Thanks.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:40
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Where has the subject field gone? Apr 27, 2009

gad wrote:

..like I used to be able to do with the old format. For some terms, I like to be able to narrow down the results to just medical, legal, or whatever. Am I missing something, or is that just no longer a feature? Thanks.

Same problem as Gad - don't seem to be able to restrict searches to the relevant field ...

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 19:40
English to German
+ ...
Search not working properly Apr 27, 2009

I just noticed that the "General" fields have now been included in the list of fields available in the dropdown list. That's great, so please disregard my previous post in this regard.

BUT: The search function isn't working properly!
For testing purposes, I searched for the first term I posted as a question here in KudoZ a
... See more
I just noticed that the "General" fields have now been included in the list of fields available in the dropdown list. That's great, so please disregard my previous post in this regard.

BUT: The search function isn't working properly!
For testing purposes, I searched for the first term I posted as a question here in KudoZ about 4 years ago.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/996256

Selecting "Mechanics /Mech Engineering" as the field to be searched is working fine, returning my own question as a search result. Selecting "Engineering (General)" as the field to be searched, however, does not include my question as a search result, irrespective of whether I select or deselect the "Whole words only" or "Match exact phrase" options, or whether I enter the entire term "voll verglaste Fahrerkabine" or just "verglaste" or "Fahrerkabine" as the search term.

This definitely needs some more refining.

@Ivana & gad:
You need to click on the "Advanced options" link to open the "Field" and "KudoZ question difficulty" options. I don't know why these have been hidden, and I don't like it.
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Are you sure? Apr 27, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

I just noticed that the "General" fields have now been included in the list of fields available in the dropdown list.

I don't think so (or maybe I don't see them). These fields existed before. If you search a term in "business/commerce (general)" you won't get results in "finance" or "retail" or "economics"

Peter Gennet
Peter Gennet
Austria
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
From search to ask question Apr 27, 2009

I remember that there was a link in the term search function that made it possible to ask a question to the searched term, when there were no results. I do not find this option any more on the new search page.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
No, general fields have not been included (yet) Apr 27, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

No, the general fields such as "Tech/Engineering", "Bus/Financial" or "Law" have not been added (yet). To make matters even more complicated, categories like "Business/Commerce (general)" or "Law (general)" have always been part of the list of specific fields.

Steffen

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Aha! - Sorry, my fault Apr 27, 2009

Steffen Walter wrote:

No, general fields have not been included (yet)

LittleBalu wrote:

No, the general fields such as "Tech/Engineering", "Bus/Financial" or "Law" have not been added (yet). To make matters even more complicated, categories like "Business/Commerce (general)" or "Law (general)" have always been part of the list of specific fields.

Steffen

Thanks for enlightening me, Steffen. I never noticed these fields before (don't use the detailed fields search very often because I think it's pretty useless). The "general" put in parentheses behind some of the fields led me to believe that these were the (newly added) "broad" search fields. No wonder that my search didn't return the results I was looking for.

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Selected source lang not saved Apr 27, 2009

While I don't really think the new layout is that great a change, I have a more serious problem.

My source language does not stay put. I select "English" and "German" as source and target and then click "Search and save settings...".

But they are not saved.

Tested on FireFox and Chrome. Both give the same result: I get all the languages possible.

Which is really about a million more results than I need...
See more
While I don't really think the new layout is that great a change, I have a more serious problem.

My source language does not stay put. I select "English" and "German" as source and target and then click "Search and save settings...".

But they are not saved.

Tested on FireFox and Chrome. Both give the same result: I get all the languages possible.

Which is really about a million more results than I need

(NB: "Open results in new window" also has no effect.)
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Same here, Edward Apr 27, 2009

Edward Bradburn wrote:

But they are not saved.

Which is really about a million more results than I need

(NB: "Open results in new window" also has no effect.)

Hi Edward,

Thank you for pointing out this bug - I've noticed the same behaviour. I've just notified staff to this thread (i.e. sent a support ticket) to get the bug fixed.

Steffen

morellaC
morellaC
Canada
Local time: 11:40
Romanian to English
I hate it! Apr 27, 2009

i really don't like the new layout of the page.
I can hardly find the search options and it's just....badly organized....
Please go back to the old way, it was so much better!

German Gonzalez
German Gonzalez
Argentina
Local time: 14:40
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Like the old looks! Apr 27, 2009

Hi,
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't like the new looks of the search page. Is there any possibility to have the old looks back?
Regards,
G.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

I'm getting used to the new looks Apr 27, 2009

I'm not sure that the aesthetics of the new version are all that lovely, but I'm finding the set-up to be quite manageable. I'm not sure I could comfortably go back to the old version anymore.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the feedback. Apr 27, 2009

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for posting.

Based on your feedback, here are the actions I have taken so far:

1. Search results do not seem to appear in relevant order: Search algorithm has been tweaked to return search results in a much more relevant order

2. Search not returning all results that it should: This is the biggest issue that has been posted here. It's a character set issue. Prior to March 2006, the site a... See more
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for posting.

Based on your feedback, here are the actions I have taken so far:

1. Search results do not seem to appear in relevant order: Search algorithm has been tweaked to return search results in a much more relevant order

2. Search not returning all results that it should: This is the biggest issue that has been posted here. It's a character set issue. Prior to March 2006, the site accepted data in numerous character sets other than Unicode (the standard since then.) There has been a hack in place to address this issue - the "Search all likely character encodings" option. This option was completely broken, but I have fixed it. However, this is not enough to solve the problem 100%. I will be automatically converting all of these old KudoZ questions and KOG entries to Unicode so they will be searchable

3. Search results appearing too far down the screen: The search form has been condensed and ads have been removed from the page. The left column has been removed to allow a wider area for search results.

4. Search button is too small: The search button is now larger.

5. Include a select list for my language pairs, like on the KudoZ ask page. This has been implemented.

6. "Open results in new window" also has no effect The label on this feature was misleading, I have updated it. Use it if you would like a new browser window to open up when you click on a result.

7. Source language not saving correctly It looks like this bug has been fixed in my latest release. If it happens again, please let me know. Thanks!

Planned actions, based on your feedback

1. Search not returning all possible results / issue with non-ascii searches As I mentioned above, I will be automatically converting non-Unicode KOG entries and KudoZ to Unicode.

2. Improve field search: A search for "Medical (general)" should return results tagged as "Medical: Cardiology", "Medical: Health Care", etc.

3. Develop a solution for 1 and 2 character searching in Chinese and Japanese

Thanks again for all the feedback. I am working very hard on improving the term search for everyone. I really appreciate your patience!
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Update to fields search Apr 28, 2009

Hi All,

I just released an update to the fields section of the term search form. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »