Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
monibarros
monibarros
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please, quotation marks for exact searches is tiring.... May 12, 2009

Colin wrote:

Thanks everyone for posting and being patient while I make updates to the term search based on the feedback I have received. It seems there is some confusion as to why some changes were made. Here is an updated list of the changes I've made:

Updates to the term search (based on feedback)

Search results do not seem to appear in relevant order: Search algorithm has been tweaked to return search results in a much more relevant order.

Search not returning all results that it should: This is the biggest issue that has been posted here. It’s a character set issue. Prior to March 2006, the site accepted data in numerous character sets other than Unicode (the standard since then.) There has been a hack in place to address this issue - the “Search all likely character encodings” option, which has partially worked. To fix this issue I am converting all of these questions to Unicode (By May 7th, about 600,000 KudoZ questions will be much more reliably searched).

Fields search is lacking: Now you have 100% full control over what fields you want to search - general and specific.

Search results appearing too far down the screen: The search form has been condensed and ads have been removed from the page for the time being. The left column has been removed to allow a wider area for search results.

Search button is too small: The search button is now larger.

Include a select list for my language pairs, like on the KudoZ ask page. This has been implemented. Also, you can now easily choose to include the reverse pair. You can search all the language pairs in your profile by selecting “My languages”.

“Open results in new window” also has no effect The label on this feature was misleading, I have updated it. Use it if you would like a new browser window to open up when you click on a result.

Select text in the term search: The term is now highlighted after submitting a search.

Exact match, include and exclude: You can use exact match, include and exclude operators in your search. If you need to, you can use them together in the same search. Here is an example:

+"tiempo de liberación" -call +release

(require the specific phrase in quotes, exclude any results with "call", require the word "release")

A short FAQ on the recent changes

What happened to "Reverse lookup"? This feature has been consolidated to your languages drop down (ex: "English to Spanish and Spanish to English"). If you're viewing all languages (2 select boxes), then the check box is there as it was before.

I'd like the term search to save my settings like it used to, how can I do that? The same as the previous version, simply click "Search & save settings"

Known issues

Source language changes "Any language" randomly I am still trying to track this bug down, thanks for your patience.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
English to German
Advanced options May 12, 2009

Can we also please have Select all/none/Invert selection for the general fields.

Bob McMurray
Bob McMurray
Germany
Local time: 01:55
German to English
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? May 12, 2009

I'm afraid this is no improvement. Quite the contrary. Please change back to the old format - yesterday. I need the tick-boxes ("check-boxes", if you prefer) & the "search exact phrase" button (or whatever it used to be called).

The last change introducing more languages (including old languages such as Old & Middle High German) was good. Keep it.

Basically the old format should be returned to.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:55
Spanish to English
Thank you for your efforts but May 12, 2009

1) I too would rather have the tick box for search for exact phrase.

2) The quotation marks don't work. I've been working all morning with the quotation marks not finding the terms I need and then I tried it without the quotation marks and found the exact phrase, however in among a lot of dross.

3) Personally I have never had any occasion to put two or more separate words into Proz search at the same time. I only look for one term at a time, be it a word or a phrase.... See more
1) I too would rather have the tick box for search for exact phrase.

2) The quotation marks don't work. I've been working all morning with the quotation marks not finding the terms I need and then I tried it without the quotation marks and found the exact phrase, however in among a lot of dross.

3) Personally I have never had any occasion to put two or more separate words into Proz search at the same time. I only look for one term at a time, be it a word or a phrase.

4) I would be thrilled if it was possible to have a *wild card, because of the nature of Spanish, where there are so many different endings to the verbs.

Many regards
Lesley
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
"Match exact phrase" checkbox now under advanced options for convenience May 12, 2009

I just restored the "Match exact phrase" option. However, I think it's important to note two things:

1. Using this option is not as powerful as typing in the quotes. It removes all quotes and puts them around the entire phrase. You cannot use include or exclude operators with this option on. Also, you cannot search for more than one exact phrase.

2. These basic search operators ("", + and -) are used all over the internet, and are standard. A check box for exact match i
... See more
I just restored the "Match exact phrase" option. However, I think it's important to note two things:

1. Using this option is not as powerful as typing in the quotes. It removes all quotes and puts them around the entire phrase. You cannot use include or exclude operators with this option on. Also, you cannot search for more than one exact phrase.

2. These basic search operators ("", + and -) are used all over the internet, and are standard. A check box for exact match is not.

In an effort to keep the interface simple, The "Match exact phrase" check box can be found in advanced options.

I see people are complaining that nothing has been improved. Let's take a look at the post that started this thread. The issue first pointed out was that a search "Compte de Résultats" yielded poorly ordered results (the desired entry was the 22nd result.) If you run that same search now you will see that the first result it the exact phrase - ""Compte de Résultats".

Marek posted about a Polish term that could not be found with the term search - "plac składowy". If you run that search now, you will see that the term appears first in the results.

In addition to the improvement in search results, the form is now more powerful. Instead of only being able to search for one specific field, you can now search for any combination of general and specific fields. Also, as I mentioned above, you can use standard search operators together to include and exclude words and short phrases in a single search:

+"computer software" -browser +internet

(require the phrase "computer software", exclude results with the word "browser", require the word "internet")
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
require/exclude potentially useful May 12, 2009

I'm not sure your argument about the basic search operators being standard on the internet is really that valid. I use the ProZ.com term search every day and just do not search that way...yet. I may do now that it's an option but at the moment it just brings up too many results - just like a Google search.

And who cares if a check box isn't standard - it's the way we work as translators when searching ProZ.com for terms.

I've felt really frustrated using the feature tod
... See more
I'm not sure your argument about the basic search operators being standard on the internet is really that valid. I use the ProZ.com term search every day and just do not search that way...yet. I may do now that it's an option but at the moment it just brings up too many results - just like a Google search.

And who cares if a check box isn't standard - it's the way we work as translators when searching ProZ.com for terms.

I've felt really frustrated using the feature today while continuiung to translate the same text as yesterday. Only yesterday, I wasn't swearing under my breath most of the time.

I do hope there'll be more feedback on this issue from translators who use the term search feature regularly for their work.
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
using quotes seems LESS powerful May 12, 2009

Just to let you know, I couldn't find "competitive advantage" (with quotes) for EN>German but without I could: 2 entries in personal glossaries and one entry in the KudoZ open glossary.

Hm...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:55
SITE FOUNDER
Suggest saving tickbox selections May 12, 2009

Hi all,

Usage statistics suggests that the term search form is now more useful, especially when unicode is required. Usage is up overall, and more searches are being done in non-ascii languages. Colin has done some good work here.

That said, the feedback suggests that different people use the search option in different ways. An idea, Colin: save the tickbox selections, so that people don't have to go to advanced options so frequently.

Would that help, folks
... See more
Hi all,

Usage statistics suggests that the term search form is now more useful, especially when unicode is required. Usage is up overall, and more searches are being done in non-ascii languages. Colin has done some good work here.

That said, the feedback suggests that different people use the search option in different ways. An idea, Colin: save the tickbox selections, so that people don't have to go to advanced options so frequently.

Would that help, folks?

Henry
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
don't mean to just criticise May 12, 2009

Just to say thanks for your efforts, Colin. I'm sure we'll love the final result

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it would help IF ... May 12, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Hi all,

Would that help, folks?

Henry

Hi Henry,

I agree (and have said so already) that Colin has done an excellent job here. I like the new look much better than the old one.

Regarding your question:
How about putting the "Whole words only" and "Match exact phrase" tick boxes back to where they were previously (i.e. to the right of the search field)? And/or, as suggested before, how about adding a tick box for "Advanced options always open" (similar to "Discussion board always open" in the KudoZ dashboard)?

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
A couple of bugs should now be fixed May 12, 2009

I just fixed a bug that may have been causing some exact match searches to be not working correctly (searches with "Whole words only" off.)

The bug causing the source language to seemingly randomly change back to "Any language" should also be fixed.

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
More on the "exact term" issue May 12, 2009

Like those above I miss this as a clickable box. Putting in quotation marks is an extra hassle especially assuming that people are cutting and pasting the term very often.

Before if you got no hits you just unclicked the box to expand the search

Possibly this is another issue but I'd really like to see exact search as an option on the KudoZ Toolbar as well (and be able to save your language combination)

On a positive note, the graphics are nice and clear... See more
Like those above I miss this as a clickable box. Putting in quotation marks is an extra hassle especially assuming that people are cutting and pasting the term very often.

Before if you got no hits you just unclicked the box to expand the search

Possibly this is another issue but I'd really like to see exact search as an option on the KudoZ Toolbar as well (and be able to save your language combination)

On a positive note, the graphics are nice and clear

[Edited at 2009-05-12 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bugs? More like a can of worms May 12, 2009

Wow, I actually thought my original question would result in a tiny tweak.
Colin, I think the job you've done is monumental.
Don't let the naysayers get you down!

You're still my hero!

[Edited at 2009-05-12 19:30 GMT]

Ana Eaton
Ana Eaton  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I give up May 12, 2009

I do not know exactly what the cause is, but I give up. I cannot use this feature. For the last days every time I look up for a term it gives me thousands of results, most of them irrelevant to my needs.
Before, I used to use the "exact phrase" and only the Kudoz Open Glossary restricted answers to exact phrases, the rest (Glosspost, etc) gave a "reasonable" number of answers.
Now, if I "restrict", there are 0 answers. If I do not, I get thousands of answers.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE
... See more
I do not know exactly what the cause is, but I give up. I cannot use this feature. For the last days every time I look up for a term it gives me thousands of results, most of them irrelevant to my needs.
Before, I used to use the "exact phrase" and only the Kudoz Open Glossary restricted answers to exact phrases, the rest (Glosspost, etc) gave a "reasonable" number of answers.
Now, if I "restrict", there are 0 answers. If I do not, I get thousands of answers.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, undo changesssssssssssssssss
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »