Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
German to English
OK... May 7, 2009

Steffen Walter wrote:
Using the "Search & save settings" button instead of just "Search" should solve your problem once and for all.

....I should have worked that one out myself! Thanks for the tip!

Niraja

David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:19
German to English
+ ...
Improvement? NÖÖÖÖÖ! May 7, 2009

Please go back to how it was - it may even have irritated me at times, but this is NO improvement. AT ALL...

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:19
French to English
+ ...
Updates, answers to common questions, and known issues May 7, 2009

Thanks everyone for posting and being patient while I make updates to the term search based on the feedback I have received. It seems there is some confusion as to why some changes were made. Here is an updated list of the changes I've made:

Updates to the term search (based on feedback)

Search results do not seem to appear in relevant order: Search algorithm has been tweaked to return search results in a much more relevant order.... See more
Thanks everyone for posting and being patient while I make updates to the term search based on the feedback I have received. It seems there is some confusion as to why some changes were made. Here is an updated list of the changes I've made:

Updates to the term search (based on feedback)

Search results do not seem to appear in relevant order: Search algorithm has been tweaked to return search results in a much more relevant order.

Search not returning all results that it should: This is the biggest issue that has been posted here. It’s a character set issue. Prior to March 2006, the site accepted data in numerous character sets other than Unicode (the standard since then.) There has been a hack in place to address this issue - the “Search all likely character encodings” option, which has partially worked. To fix this issue I am converting all of these questions to Unicode (By May 7th, about 600,000 KudoZ questions will be much more reliably searched).

Fields search is lacking: Now you have 100% full control over what fields you want to search - general and specific.

Search results appearing too far down the screen: The search form has been condensed and ads have been removed from the page for the time being. The left column has been removed to allow a wider area for search results.

Search button is too small: The search button is now larger.

Include a select list for my language pairs, like on the KudoZ ask page. This has been implemented. Also, you can now easily choose to include the reverse pair. You can search all the language pairs in your profile by selecting “My languages”.

“Open results in new window” also has no effect The label on this feature was misleading, I have updated it. Use it if you would like a new browser window to open up when you click on a result.

Select text in the term search: The term is now highlighted after submitting a search.

Exact match, include and exclude: You can use exact match, include and exclude operators in your search. If you need to, you can use them together in the same search. Here is an example:

+"tiempo de liberación" -call +release

(require the specific phrase in quotes, exclude any results with "call", require the word "release")

A short FAQ on the recent changes

What happened to "Reverse lookup"? This feature has been consolidated to your languages drop down (ex: "English to Spanish and Spanish to English"). If you're viewing all languages (2 select boxes), then the check box is there as it was before.

I'd like the term search to save my settings like it used to, how can I do that? The same as the previous version, simply click "Search & save settings"
Collapse

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still not getting results May 8, 2009

I still don't get results (NONE!!) in searches where AT LEAST some should be (look up "whether or not": results are 0!!).
this isn't working the way it was. Sorry but the improvements are still to be seen...

"Select text in the term search: The term is now highlighted after submitting a search". No, it isn't. I onlyknow it should be because I've read it here.

[Edited at 2009-05-08 08:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-05-08 08:36 GMT]

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
I prefer the old one May 8, 2009

I like to be able to search in all of "my languages" but I find this one harder to use... Less features.

Kent Hyde
Kent Hyde  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:19
German to English
+ ...
Perform new search from results page May 11, 2009

I would like to be able to enter a new search at the top of whatever page I happen to be viewing instead of having always to go back to the search page to continue. It does not have to be large text -- just something small, but available.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:19
French to English
+ ...
Exact match, include and exclude May 11, 2009

Hi All,

You can now match exact strings by enclosing them with quotes (for example, "tiempo de liberación"). You can also use include and exclude operators to improve your search results (+ and -). Here is an example of all three of them in use together:

(require the specific phrase in quotes, exclude any results with "call", require the word "release")

Please let me know if you have any problems.
... See more
Hi All,

You can now match exact strings by enclosing them with quotes (for example, "tiempo de liberación"). You can also use include and exclude operators to improve your search results (+ and -). Here is an example of all three of them in use together:

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Best,
Colin
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! May 11, 2009

Colin wrote:

...match exact strings by enclosing them with quotes...also use include and exclude operators

Now this is an improvement. Kudoz to you!

Sisiutl
Sisiutl
Mexico
French to English
+ ...
"Exact Phrase" setting May 12, 2009

I am not keen on the new format, but I can work with it (I have a choice?).
However, I do wish you would include, once again, a "search exact phrase" (or whatever it used to be called) button/checkbox which I might store using the "Search and Save Settings" button.
This having to include quote marks each time is rather frustrating: if my mind temporarily draws a blank when I see "clé en main", and I go to the search engine, it's probably because I'm already getting a bit tired and/
... See more
I am not keen on the new format, but I can work with it (I have a choice?).
However, I do wish you would include, once again, a "search exact phrase" (or whatever it used to be called) button/checkbox which I might store using the "Search and Save Settings" button.
This having to include quote marks each time is rather frustrating: if my mind temporarily draws a blank when I see "clé en main", and I go to the search engine, it's probably because I'm already getting a bit tired and/or frustrated. In such a case, the last thing I need is to have search results throw up 404 KOG hits, 382 KudoZ archive hits, and 489 Glossary hits containing each individual word: I need a quick search result to remind me that it's a "turnkey" transaction.
Thank you.
Collapse

Elena Sosno
Elena Sosno  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:19
English to Russian
+ ...
exact phrase box May 12, 2009

I agree with Sisiutl, it was much more convinient and time-saving, when I could simply check this box previously. I use Kudoz search sometimes 10 hours a day and it is totaly inconvinient having to write quote marks all the time. Please please please return this box!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Exact phrase May 12, 2009

Sisiutl wrote:

Thank you.

I agree

Moreover, I still don't see any word highlighted when I get results. Is is just me? Should I send a support ticket?

Stéphanie

Edit: Thanks LittleBalu, I did indeed misunderstand.

[Edited at 2009-05-12 09:03 GMT]

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding ... May 12, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Moreover, I still don't see any word highlighted when I get results. Is is just me? Should I send a support ticket?

Stéphanie

The term(s) entered in the search field is/are highlighted (so that you don't have to click and delete them manually before entering a new term you want to search), not any words in the search results. This is a misunderstanding on your part.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Extremely awkward! May 12, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Colin wrote:

Hi All,

I just made some updates to the search page.

4. The fields section is a bit large now and many people are complaining about having to scroll down to see the results. This section will now close after executing a search.

There's only one more little thing that's annoying me: Others complain about having to scroll because the fields section is too large. Personally, I find it annoying that I have to "open" the fields section every time I want to change the fields. Would there be any chance of implementing an option like, say, "Fields section always open" by ticking a box (similar to "Discussion board always open" in the KudoZ dashboard)?

PLEASE, PLEASE give us an option to keep the "Advanced options" section open all the time (as suggested before, see above). Now that you have moved the "Whole words only" option to this section (WHY???), it's even more awkward to use than before. I select/deselect the "Whole words only" option quite often, and I find it extremely irritating that I have to re-open the "Advanced options" section EVERY TIME I want to perform a new search! Don't make searching more difficult and more awkward than it was before with the old design!

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:19
English to German
quotes for exact term search May 12, 2009

Nope, I agree with the others, it's awkward. Please give us back the tick boxes. Thanks!

Enza Longo
Enza Longo  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:19
French to English
+ ...
awkward indeed! May 12, 2009

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Nope, I agree with the others, it's awkward. Please give us back the tick boxes. Thanks!

Please put the tick boxes back to where they were!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »